PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scuffler

Lurker
Apr 29, 2024
Anyone ever get a sore on your lip after smoking your pipe a few times during the day?

It never happened to me before. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Try drawing more softly - sipping. If the pipe bowl gets hot, set it down and allow to cool. Relighting a pipe bowl that has gone out is not a bad thing with pipes and actually can give a good taste to the bowl.

Last edited:

scuffler

Lurker
Apr 29, 2024
Try drawing more softly - sipping. If the pipe bowl gets hot, set it down and allow to cool. Relighting a pipe bowl that has gone to is not a bad thing with pipes and actually can give a good taste to the bowl.
I do try to let my pipe cool down if it gets to hot. Maybe I was not paying attention. I relight often and try to take it slow.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Nicotene makes my lips, gums, and tongue swell a bit. It usually goes away after an hour or so, or if I have something fatty to eat.

Edit to add: Not allergy. I have so many, this isn't one of them.

Reactions: scuffler

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Go to SmokingPipes.com, the first "dot" number is nicotene strength. The more dots, the stronger. In my experience, if it is worse with the "stronger" tobaccos and less bad with the "weaker" tobaccos then you're the same as me.

And if that's it, it will happen every time with a cigar: use a cigar holder.

Reactions: scuffler

scuffler

Lurker
Apr 29, 2024
Go to SmokingPipes.com, the first "dot" number is nicotene strength. The more dots, the stronger. In my experience, if it is worse with the "stronger" tobaccos and less bad with the "weaker" tobaccos then you're the same as me.

And if that's it, it will happen every time with a cigar: use a cigar holder.
Thank you that may be it. Appreciate it.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
If it's the same thing as I get, it's not a sore. The top and inside of my lip become swollen and rough and tender. Chapstik (or equivalent) helps. Eating butter or icecream or anything fatty (to dissolve the offending compound) helps. It doesn't honestly last all that long unless you insist to keep smoking, in which case it can turn into a cold-sore like thing except it heals MUCH faster and easier and doesn't spread at all.

If you are like me...
If you take a pipe of something REALLY mild, it won't happen at all.
If you take a pipe of something REALLY strong (e.g. 1792 flake), it gets MUCH worse and happens sooner.
Smoking slower only helps until you're about 2/3 through the bowl, and then it hits anyway.
Smoking faster will burn your tongue instead, which feels different, but your lips will be fine.
If condensation from the pipes comes out to your lips, not only does it taste really bad but the effect happens instantly and severely.
Smoking a cigar without a holder is a guarantee.
Smoking a cigar with a holder is good until the last two inches or so, and then it happens even if you use pipe cleaners and paper towels to dry up the condensation.

If that sounds like you, I feel you.

Reactions: woodsroad