Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 25, 2023
I'm on a long term mission researching a number of legacy, vintage, codger blends. AKA old general store / grocery store blends. The purpose is adding many to my shop recipe book in Alaska, but also to capture the history for a possible book in the future. I'll be posting about once every few weeks with a question of a target old general store blend in the hopes that people can share and contribute what they may know and remember about such blends and or even if they might still have some, or be aware of recipes, and match blends. My last post was about FOREST & STREAM (Canadian and not to be confused with FIELD and STREAM US.

Todays post is OLD MARINER, a 1920's and onward John Middleton blend which I was completely unaware that existed until just recently when researching codger blends on youtube. I stumbled upon his PIPE APPEAL channel awesome retro video and tasting of a tin that he found in sealed condition at an antique dealer. This is not a typical navy blend but instead some Virginia, burley, latakia codger blend hybrid. Little can be found about this blend short of a very few empty tins on ebay and some old match books.

Does anyone know or remember this blend? Perhaps remember ever smoking it? Know of its composition?

Thank you for any input.

VIDEO from PIPE APPEAL on youtube.

old mariner.jpg