PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crowbait

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I do a fair amount of travel as a rodeo photographer and right now I've just been stashing pipes in my pockets, camera bag, car etc. I've grown tired of the haphazard routine and have been looking into leather pipe rolls and pouches lately.

Does anyone have any experiences or suggestions with leather rolls or pouches, good bad or otherwise?

I know there will be some comments on protective pelican cases but I have enough black gear bags and boxes for camera equipment that I don't care to own another. The pipes are take are workhorses not show pieces and my goal is not primaily about protection. Instead it is to get something well-crafted, aesthetically pleasing, and a one stop shop for my pipes and tobacco so I can stop searching in the nooks and crannies where I may have stuffed things in haste as I pack and unpack!

• Love
Reactions: Scottmi

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
If two pipes is enough capacity, give this a try. $25 and readily available. I just find the roll up thing too bulky and difficult to carry.
IMG_3653 2.jpg

• Love

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've one like this that is similar in design and size. Works for me. This one is a good price, I think. https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-stands-and-pouches/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=305833
001-507-0082_1.5099.jpg

Skink

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
I use a 9"x5"X2" Molle bag from Amazon. I can fit 3 pipes (in their pipe socks), 2x 50g tins, at least 4x 1oz samples in Ziplocs, a leather stand, a bag of pipe cleaners and a pipe nail. More than enough for the traveling that I do.

• Love

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
a friend has one of these bags...i'm thinking looks good for a pipe bag, but is pricier than the molle gear on amazon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I suggest something simple. Leather roll bags looks great, but not really practical. A bags with zipper closure, and pipe storing slots, and separate pouches for metal items are easier to use like the Maxpedition bags.

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I bought the "RAW HYD" pipe roll on amazon (currently unavailable), and it's much larger than I expected. I'll probably never use it, but that's partly because I never go anywhere anyway ;)

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Dopp kit or toilet kit will work just fine for pipes that aren't precious. Can hold 2-4 pipes, cleaners, pipe tool, tobacco, with no need to fit things in slots.

I like the folding tobacco pouches, leather with waterproof lining.

Reactions: crowbait and warren