PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
OK so Ihave been smoking some latakia blends I am not sure if I like it or not other than the smokey flavor there is a spice I cant put my finger on what are some of the flavor notes you have picked up on with the latakia blends you have smoked the two most resent I have smoked has been GL Pease Abigidon and westminister

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I didn't like the first latakia blends I tried.....then I got some Shortcut to Mushrooms (Just for Him)...since then I have learned to love latakia in measured amounts.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Latakia is made from oriental style tobaccos . The actual names of which slip my mind right now . They tend to be spicy and low in vitamin N due to low nitrogen growing conditions. For myself I LOVE Latakia!

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
My mainstay in the cooler months is McCelland's 5110 (bulk Frog Morton).

Rumor has it that latakia was the product of Bedowin tribsmen cureing (drying) their tobacco in the smoke vents of their tents as they traveled. Those fires were stoked with dried camel dung much as early Americans used dried buffalo dung. While that may have been the case 100 years ago, it is now processed with different fuels, pine and oak. Some of the spiceness comes from the pine oils and smoke and some comes from perique. The woodsy, leathery flavor comes from the oak. There are other tobaccos used that give it it's flavor. For me, latakia was an aquired taste. Once aquired though, I stayed with it. There are times when nothing else satisfies.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I love it,...I just wish I could pronounce it.
Is it: La ta KEY a....Lah TAK e ah?
It reminds me of the coffee I used to drink early in the mornings at chuckwagon roundups, it was brewed kept warm in a ceramic pot over a hardwood fire.

To this day, every now and then when I think about it, I'll add a drop of Liquid Smoke to my cup of coffee.
Like now.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It is normally pronounced: lat-uh-kee-uh.
You can also hear the pronunciation of it by clicking on the little speaker next to the word here:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/latakia

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
You can also hear the pronunciation of it by clicking on the little speaker next to the word here:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/latakia
I like the 2nd version they give. I'm going to talk like that for the rest of the night.
I LOVE G.L. Pease Westminster! I've smoked about 6 bowls of it in the last two days.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks Bob and Kevin!
Oh, and patiobum, spent some time in Shreveport with a band, I love Community Coffee.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Personal opinion: Try Dunhill's Standard Mixture (not the MILD). It's a good introduction to latakia blends. I think it smokes much smoother than many other English blends and has a great flavor. Good luck.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Another thought: The pipe you smoke latakia in makes a HUGE difference. I myself feel you will get the best result from a high grade Italian like Castello, Ser Jacopo, Mastro, Caminetto, etc. Unfortunately I don't think Savinellis do a very good job with latakia... probably because of the way the wood is cured... but they smoke other blends just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.