PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
My first introduction to English blends was amphora English. After a few bowls I decided that tobacco was not for me I don’t like smoking a campfire

But my last tobacco order I decided to give it one more try and picked up some match 20 ( which I guess is like 965) and was going to save it for winter because I have heard English and cold weather go together like peas and carrots. Well I broke into it early and I love this leaf. Although I can smell a little of that camp fire in the tin note I don’t get hardly any during the smoke like I did with the amphora.

Is this the way English is some is campfire heavy and others are not? If so what’s some other English’s I might enjoy with that info in mind?

Reactions: kcghost

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
I'm not familiar with Amphora blends, as I've not smoked any in decades. But in general, English blends occur along a spectrum, from strong or "full" to light. For example, Peterson's Nightcap is what I'd call a full English with a rich, campfire aroma. Peterson's Early Morning Pipe falls on the lighter side. So does Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader (although I've seen differing opinions about that). I suggest you try something on the lighter side.

Reactions: Grimlineman

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Back when started out I found Amphora to be very good tobacco when you select the proper one for yourself. I really liked English tobaccos for over forty years. English's range from extremely mild stuff in terms of latakia in the blend to a bunch that are 50% or more latakia. You best bet to avoid these if you don't like them are to ask for "Scottish" blends or blends with very little latakia,

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I haven't had Amphora English but I love Match 20 which I find to be a lighter English. If you want something that's even lighter you could try Lane HGL which is an English crossover/aromatic English.