PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I was rather curious. I mean in modern warfare, who would fix bayonet and charge at the enemy? Ok, maybe French Foreign Legion, they are partial to things like fight till the last man.

But I was rather surprised to find a Welsh regiment had last bayonet charge as recently as 2011. I would think if you are running low on ammo, more firing discipline instead of spray and pray. Or at least the enemy is near enough to go for hand to hand instead of exposing yourself by jumping out and changing at possibly well stocked enemy. But I guess it still happens.

Oh! I remember why this popped in my head. "Mass" knife killing in Germany the other day. Three died due to knife attack and more injured. It seems knife attack in Europe seems to be increasing. I hate knife fight. No matter what, you end up bleeding. Stupidest thing right behind gun fight. Hope everyone's recovering well, injured, not the dead.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cold, hard steel at the right time can be the correct response. Especially against a less than professional and, possibly demoralized foe. Or, it can be a "last ditch" effort to take a "few with us" type of action. If you are going to die, take some of the opposition with you kind of thing. When you are fighting an enemy who is driven by fanaticism it may be the only response. Weapons may change but, infantry tactics still require close contact. Nothing sanitary or clean about close contact combat.

Reactions: bullet08

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
The first group that landed during the retaking of the Falkland Islands were pinned down by some withering fire and the young subaltern was at a loss. His sergeant told him he had to do something, so the lad told his men to fix bayonets. Apparently it all went much better after that.

• Love
Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The first group that landed during the retaking of the Falkland Islands were pinned down by some withering fire and the young subaltern was at a loss. His sergeant told him he had to do something, so the lad told his men to fix bayonets. Apparently it all went much better after that.
From what I'm reading is, it's more to do with psychological effects on the enemy. Especially when the opponents are known to be well trained. The shear fear it creates when faced with rushing infantry with bayonet fixed and look of murder alone will have less of an enemy to run and/or shit in their pants

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This might come in handy ... might have to get one ...

View attachment 332157
Nevermind ... would be confiscated under new law in England: