PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I have a Pre-bored pipe kit that I want to make a nosewarmer poker with, and I went to order a short stem for it but when i took the stock one out and tried to replace it with one from an actual pipe, the mortise on the kit is WAY bigger than the others...I guess my question is.. is a kit built a lot different than store bought ready to smoke pipes? or do kit tenons vary? Thanks for your help.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kit tenons in my experience do vary a bit. Are you saying the tenon on your desired stem is loose?

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Dang I knew that my post did not sound clear hahaha. What I mean is that I don't understand what size tenon to order on a short stem to replace the one that came with the kit. I still feel like Im not stating this clearly..Im no wordsmith

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The tenon on the stem you order will most likely be oversize and require turning down to fit your mortise. Where did you get you pre-drilled block ? A lot of them are done by pipe makers and they don't all use the same size tenon. There really is no "standard" tenon size although 5/16" is common. Also pipe size and shape will have some bearing on tenon size.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Ok that does make sense! Thanks! This might be an obvious question but just to know im measuring right..Do you measure tenon size like you would a bolt?

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Ah yes more exact! This is my second make your own project and I want it to be a little more involved.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Measure your mortise with the calipers and order a stem with a tenon that has a slightly larger diameter. You cannot buy a molded stem that will fit your mortise precisely. Drill bits will vary in size by a couple of thousandths --in other words not all 5/16" drill bits will drill a hole that is exactly .3125" in diameter. That is why your tenon must be sized to fit the mortise. .002-3" in either direction will make a big difference in how the stem fits.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
You may need to send it back to have the correct size tenon cut.
Or you could order a Make Your Own nosewarmer kit. One source I've seen is DGE Handmade Pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.