PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
MV-1000 is basically Captain Black Gold, but it's not lol. If you were to smoke MV and CB gold side by side you would not tell a difference. The CB gold bites a little to where MV doesn't. But to me they taste and smell the same.
I've seen it stated more than once that MV-1000 is CB Gold, 1Q is CB Royal and RLP-6 is CP White and supposedly this comes from Lane. RLP-6 and White seem like a different cut to me but similar flavors. It does seem that the pouch blends have substantially more PG, possibly leading to the steamy bite. Smoking HGL at the moment.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I've seen it stated more than once that MV-1000 is CB Gold, 1Q is CB Royal and RLP-6 is CP White and supposedly this comes from Lane. RLP-6 and White seem like a different cut to me but similar flavors. It does seem that the pouch blends have substantially more PG, possibly leading to the steamy bite. Smoking HGL at the moment.
HGL is fantastic. I get 8 ounces at a time then add two ounces of my RLP-6 stash to it. Makes the room note better for the family. I've had RLP-6 and Captain Black Original bulk blend side by side. I miss the CB bulk. It is different, not by much but they definitely looked like a different cut. The MV-1000 and CB gold was the same to me except for the bite. Now I really miss CB Dark in the 12 ounce tubs. "To me" CB Dark is better than BCA. I haven't had it since my last tub ran out. Really stinks that Lane stopped offering it in tubs. I've been smoking a lot of Pegasus and Winchester lately. The otc style aromatics are tasty and smell great but they just don't satisfy my hunger for nicotine. I like to feel the relaxation from my pipe smoking sessions.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Thanks! I haven’t tried MV or CBG. Are they sweeter than RLP?
Sorry for the late response, been working a lot. For your question, the MV and CBG is not sweeter then RLP-6 in the sense of room note and mouth feel, but it's sweeter in the "tang" and bready notes. RLP-6 is Burley and Cavendished green river Burley with some virginia. The MV and CBG is straight up virginia and Cavendished virginia. I have to smoke it in my Savinelli's and Rossi's with a 6mm charcoal filter. I don't smoke it much which is a shame because I have A LOT of CBG and a few tins of MV-1000 from when Lane offered them in little round tins like Royal Yacht. The one cool thing is the fact that ,, it's virginia!! It will age nicely, and even if the toppings fade (which I doubt) it won't matter, because it's virginia, natural sugars will prevail!

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Sorry for the late response, been working a lot. For your question, the MV and CBG is not sweeter then RLP-6 in the sense of room note and mouth feel, but it's sweeter in the "tang" and bready notes. RLP-6 is Burley and Cavendished green river Burley with some virginia. The MV and CBG is straight up virginia and Cavendished virginia. I have to smoke it in my Savinelli's and Rossi's with a 6mm charcoal filter. I don't smoke it much which is a shame because I have A LOT of CBG and a few tins of MV-1000 from when Lane offered them in little round tins like Royal Yacht. The one cool thing is the fact that ,, it's virginia!! It will age nicely, and even if the toppings fade (which I doubt) it won't matter, because it's virginia, natural sugars will prevail!
Thanks for the thorough response. I like RLP-6 fine but don’t love it and I’m guessing that because of the burley. I’ll give MV and CBG a shot.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
And a follow up questions: is there a bulk version of CBG? Or does 7 Seas Gold come close to CBG?

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
And a follow up questions: is there a bulk version of CBG? Or does 7 Seas Gold come close to CBG?
Captain Black doesn't have their bulk line anymore. When they moved from Tucker GA. to Denmark they axed a few products. I've never had 7 seas gold. I've only had their cherry and it was terrible. MacBaren doesn't agree with my tongue. Anything from MacBaren bites the crap out of me except for London Burley Blend.

Reactions: AroEnglish