PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
This is the second blend that I recently bought in bulk from Estervals, the other being also a VaPer from Dan Tobacco in the form of St Bernard Flake. There is quite a contrast between the two with this blend being more Virginia forward and the Perique being used as more of a condiment. The whole effect is somewhat like a theoretical love child between Capstan Blue and Solani 633. On opening the jar, I am met with a fruity melange and some prominent yeasty bready notes. The aroma is very seductive and it is almost begging to be smoked with the moisture at a perfect level for instant gratification. I loaded a Falcon using the Frank method as my first two bowls were a tad hot, (though not biting). I judged that this would provide a long slow cool burn and this proved to be so. Lighting up was simplicity and it burned beautifully at a slow pace with no heat problems, in fact it was the coolest of smokes for the entire duration. Taste was consistent after the initial light and it provided high grassy notes with an orange tang and a lot of bready flavours. This intensified as the bowl progressed, with more influence from the Perique and a lemon grass tang and raisin sweetness with a mild hint of a peppery tingle on the tongue. Room note is very pleasant as you would hope from the quality leaf used. Golden Virginias and a lot of brights with a good dose of mid brown and a hint of fruity reds. Nicotine is a solid medium, though not a problem for most smokers. I tend to avoid the grassy lemony Virginias as they tend to bite, but this proves that there exceptions to this rule. All in all a very likeable blend and one that I heartily recommend.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Great review! Got a sample of this myself a couple months back, right as I was mourning the end of my jar of WCC Rouxgaroux. This is a respectable fill-in until that situation is rectified come Halloween (fingers crossed--that stuff sells out quite fast, understandably). Excellent end-of-summer fare, for sure, although I do prefer to dry mine a bit beforehand. 👍

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Great review! Got a sample of this myself a couple months back, right as I was mourning the end of my jar of WCC Rouxgaroux. This is a respectable fill-in until that situation is rectified come Halloween (fingers crossed--that stuff sells out quite fast, understandably). Excellent end-of-summer fare, for sure, although I do prefer to dry mine a bit beforehand. 👍
Thanks for the reply. I am a little at a loss for a direct comparison with similar blends. Perhaps Escudo or DNR ? There is a strong yeasty breadiness that pervades. I like it very much.

Reactions: Servant King

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This makes me wonder, F&K Cigar Co. in St. Louis Missouri is the importer for Dan Tobacco, I wonder if a lot of people here on the forum start reaching out to them, we can get them to work with Dan Tobacco, and have a continual rotation of the blends, so we can start getting blends that have always been only available overseas.

I don’t see why this isn’t possible... hmm 🤔

Reactions: Servant King