SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 7, 2023
Hi, I am new to this forum and new to collecting. I’m working on a nice herd (mob? Pack?) of meers and am thinking of a custom cutty/Zulu now.

Aside from that, I came across this image looking at old pipes.

B2EABF61-8777-4A12-839F-21C621F7B8E5.jpeg

What is doughboy puffing on in his bomber coat. I can’t tell if it is a one piece chimney or perhaps a coloring bowl? I do enjoy the carving and maybe a slight forward cant. What would you guys call it?

Hope to see you guys around I am a former lurker.

Feb 7, 2023
Looks like the Meerschaum I saw on SP today.
SP? EDIT: oh smokingpipes

I propose an improved model, one of these with a coloring bowl. No but seriously I’m looking for any excuse now, really grasping. ;)

Attachments

• E9BFF679-1563-4FF9-B41E-A416A9D4FBEF.jpeg
    E9BFF679-1563-4FF9-B41E-A416A9D4FBEF.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Feb 7, 2023
That is nice for a clay I like impractical pipes like clays cutties and oom pauls.

Welcome! We have a forum just for intro's of new members.
A mess of meers, perhaps?

The estates sure are a mess, I’ve actually developed a phobia of that good ol estate smell.

I think I’ll post an introduction when I get some pipes back from briarville. Probably try to commit to a “one yeer meer” for the sake of experiment and so the other pipes can stay “new” for a while.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
First off Mister Watts I thought you had passed away glad to have you here. Second to me it looks like a coloring bowl I think I see a seam. But it's all a guess. In fact I can't be 100 percent sure that is a pipe even. Could be a spy device or a very poorly thought out device used to help aim mortar shells. A kind of survey device. But I would guess pipe plus coloring bowl.

Feb 7, 2023
Second to me it looks like a coloring bowl I think I see a seam.
I’m going to go have a look on google books for early reference to coloring bowls. I’m not interested in them for their alleged intentions or to know them by their fruits but honestly I see it as a simple filter that would keep the host pipe clean or at least uniform in shade.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any chance this is improvised, maybe a coloring bowl somehow fixed to another bowl for a chimney shape? There's nothing people won't try, to get a second look. He looks like a longshoreman wanting a long smoke.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
That is nice for a clay I like impractical pipes like clays cutties and oom pauls.

The estates sure are a mess, I’ve actually developed a phobia of that good ol estate smell.

I think I’ll post an introduction when I get some pipes back from briarville. Probably try to commit to a “one yeer meer” for the sake of experiment and so the other pipes can stay “new” for a while.
@Cornell D. Cavendish I only smoke clay pipes!

Reactions: yanoJL