PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A friend of my wife's who is a Japan expert sent me a Kiseru pipe, and I've played with it to see how it smokes. I take it that the tobacco is supposed to be almost powered, and the smoke is quite short accordingly, a ceremonial sip or two. I got the leaf down to very small pieces, but probably not quite small enough, so the smoke was short indeed.

Reactions: yanoJL

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Tiny, tiny, tiny bowl. Basically only fit for shag. I've a long one (oiran, they call 'em) that I very seldom use, because I very seldom have shag cut, and can't be bothered to go through the hoops of getting the even-finer stuff they're meant for.
Damn handsome object though.PXL_20230515_190843950.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, I see it is shredded tobacco, not powdered. Maybe some shag cut will do it. I see in the youTube they skipped the charcoal on the relight and used a lighter. Interesting! And about four or five draws is what you get. Thank you for the video; it makes this much clearer.

Reactions: yanoJL and Flatfish

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I managed to score some kizami (the shredded tobacco meant for kiseru and a kiseru off eBay a while ago. Kazami is so fine it’s like hair. It’s a good smoke but I doubt I’ll get more of it as I rarely smoke my kiseru so that little packet will last a long time.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I think I’d really like this style of smoking. It fits my character perfectly. I’ve always been interested in the tobacco especially, since I love shag and the thinner the cut the better for me. Thanks for posting this video.

Reactions: Flatfish

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Kiseru is really interesting, it's really much closer to cigarettes in nature than conventional pipes. I'd love to know how they deviated so wildly from pipes everywhere else

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Kiseru is really interesting, it's really much closer to cigarettes in nature than conventional pipes. I'd love to know how they deviated so wildly from pipes everywhere else
Apparently it was mostly economics.
Shogunate set a high tariff on tobacco, so they bought less and made smaller pipes. And of course you need very small tobacco for your very small pipe.

As for the ritualistic aspect - that's a spot-on comparison. They adapted incense burning equipment and techniques for use with tobacco. Which, I'm sure, may also have influenced them toward a more unique form of pipe.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Antique Chinese pipes also have tiny bowls typically
I would think that scarcity and high cost of tobacco are contributing factors
Much as the majority of antique (pre-1900) European pipes have smaller bowls than their modern day counterparts

Reactions: MattRVA
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Kiseru pipes predate the import of tobacco, which is indigenous to the America's. I always wondered what they were smoking back then. Any insights?

Yes, I do know google exists...

Reactions: huckleberry

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
These pipes are around flea markets in Japan everywhere. But no briar pipes to be found there as collectors have caught up with that game.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Apparently it was mostly economics.
Shogunate set a high tariff on tobacco, so they bought less and made smaller pipes. And of course you need very small tobacco for your very small pipe.

As for the ritualistic aspect - that's a spot-on comparison. They adapted incense burning equipment and techniques for use with tobacco. Which, I'm sure, may also have influenced them toward a more unique form of pipe.
That would make sense, ironic considering now Japan is one of the most free countries with tobacco. Pipe tobacco there is more expensive than it is in most (but not all) American states but much cheaper than most other countries, and the price is probably due entirely to the fact everything is expensive in Japan and not because of nanny state taxing.
Antique Chinese pipes also have tiny bowls typically
I would think that scarcity and high cost of tobacco are contributing factors
Much as the majority of antique (pre-1900) European pipes have smaller bowls than their modern day counterparts
I didn't know the Chinese made tobacco pipes, my understanding was that smoking was illegal in China before the Emperor was deposed so their tobacco use was limited to snuff. Chinese snuff bottles are absolutely stunning and extremely diverse.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I didn't know the Chinese made tobacco pipes, my understanding was that smoking was illegal in China before the Emperor was deposed so their tobacco use was limited to snuff. Chinese snuff bottles are absolutely stunning and extremely diverse.
They were often elaborate pipes - enamelled and bejewelled.
So for the Royals, the mandarins and rich merchants
Probably for smoking opium as much as tobacco.
The East India Company was responsible for most of the opium trade in China. And the cause of the Opium War :mad:

Reactions: MattRVA

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
They were often elaborate pipes - enamelled and bejewelled.
So for the Royals, the mandarins and rich merchants
Probably for smoking opium as much as tobacco.
The East India Company was responsible for most of the opium trade in China. And the cause of the Opium War :mad:
Some of those opium pipes are beautiful works of art. Sorta reminds me of how back in the day when snuff was the most popular tobacco form, snuff boxes could be extremely elaborate through very simple. And everything in between. But with both I can see why there are collectors who have no interest in the use of the item but love the art value of it.

Reactions: OzPiper

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
I recently got a kiseru myself. I have been smoking some PS Amsterdam Shag in it. I am working on getting some actual koiki tobacco, but we'll see how that goes.

This style of smoking suits me. It is a short but good and satisfying smoke. It is sometimes preferable to have a quick smoke and get back to other tasks. As enjoyable as pipe smoking is I often have other things I would rather do.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I recently got a kiseru myself. I have been smoking some PS Amsterdam Shag in it. I am working on getting some actual koiki tobacco, but we'll see how that goes.

This style of smoking suits me. It is a short but good and satisfying smoke. It is sometimes preferable to have a quick smoke and get back to other tasks. As enjoyable as pipe smoking is I often have other things I would rather do.
Great minds think alike - that's the same blend I like in mine.
Please do let me know how the koiki acquisition goes.