PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
This is one of the many my dad collected... seems like someone was a little too happy with a reamer or something. Can it be fixed or be smoked out of or should it be put up? I have not been able to clean the steam on this one yet, didn't want to do too much to it yet. Especially since as I m writing this post i just discovered that the plastic piece shown in the pics actually screws from the bowl.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I assume that's a meerschaum lined bowl? You may want to send it out for a repair, I'm sure it's not a lost cause overall. Definitely look into saving it, but I wouldn't fire it up until something is done with the bowl.
Anyone think the lining can be saved?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It seems a lot worse than it is. Even if that's wood and it's slightly out of round, it's totally fixable. Send it out to Walker Briar Works and he'll send it back to you looking like a new pipe! You'll be amazed!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't see much wrong with it mate. It just looks like a well used pipe to me. Clean er up, load er up, and smoke er. enjoy
edit: ooops my bad mate. I guess I wasn't paying much attention and the pic is fuzzy. Should discount what I said about smoking it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Interesting. The photos are good, but it's still a little difficult to tell what's what. It looks like someone did get a bit carried away with the reaming. I agree with baronsamedi — send it to Walker Briar Works. You can send Dave a photo and description and he can give you an estimate. Good luck, keep us posted.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Since it is a Kiko I am going to assume that either the bowl is meerschaum lined or the entire pipe could be meerschaum (I own a pipe similar to the one you posted). I agree with numbersix send the photos to Walker Briar Works for an estimate. Unless you have some expertise restoring meerschaum pipes don't try this at home.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you everyone... I tried my best to get as close as I could to give a good idea of what it looks like.
I am pretty sure it's not cake. In the second pic you can see where it almost looks like a knife was used and in some of the gouges it looks like a light wood.
I will ok into the restorer and see what it will cost, short on cash ATM so it will need to wait a while

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That would be unlikely since African meer is no longer in production, another kind of meer would work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.