PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclefloyd

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2018
Space Coast Florida
This is one of several old pipes I picked up recently and it’s the first Kaywoodie that
I’ve ever owned.

When I separated the stem this is what it looks like. Is this what it should look like?
It is a Kaywoodie Standard 80 B.

EB38EE13-EC6A-4D3C-A9E0-78DD3EAA531F.jpeg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
There’s so much gunk in the shank the stinger is stuck. I’d put a little alcohol in the bowls to soak the stinger. After soaking try and turn it. Then screw it back into the stem.

unclefloyd

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2018
Space Coast Florida
There’s so much gunk in the shank the stinger is stuck. I’d put a little alcohol in the bowls to soak the stinger. After soaking try and turn it. Then screw it back into the stem.
I figured it was probably stuck but before I started working on it I thought I’d better ask for info.

Thank you!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
One method I’ve found very useful and it kills two birds with one stone.

a Kosher Salt Treatment

Fill the bowl with kosher salt and then add a small amount of alcohol. I use 151 Everclear.

Let soak overnight.

unclefloyd

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2018
Space Coast Florida
One method I’ve found very useful and it kills two birds with one stone.

a Kosher Salt Treatment

Fill the bowl with kosher salt and then add a small amount of alcohol. I use 151 Everclear.

Let soak overnight.
Yeah once I ream out the bowl I plan to do the salt/Everclear treatment. Hopefully that’ll work.

Reactions: ashdigger
Aug 1, 2012
You can also, sometimes, use the freezer trick on these stems. 10 minutes in the freezer can loosen it up just enough to turn. It doesn't always work so be gentle with it.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I use table salt & 91% isopropyl alcohol, but Everclear works too. The threads are easily marred, I’d shy away from pleirs when attempting to loosen stinger from mortice.

Looks like it may be a 4-hole stinger, pre 1956. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.