PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A couple of months ago I traded for two Kaywoodie Handmade pipes: one was a bent Rhodesian and the other is a straight apple (?). I've finally gotten to the straight one and am pretty pleased with the results.
Before:

photo-16.jpg

After:

photo-19.jpg

Looking forward to getting the bent one started on soon but I have a bit of a back log of projects currently so it may be later rather than sooner. :roll:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Hey Greg, about 3 weeks I bought on the Bay a super grain bent bulldog super grain Kaywoodie for 37$ includeing shipping, cleaned it up, not as good as you, but it is a super little smoker. The old cajun

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, Old Cajun. I hope the bent look as good or better when I get to it. You can see it a bit in the top left photo.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I am wondering about the "Handmade" though. It looks like the mortice and tenon are the standard Kaywoodie screw-in aluminum (usually with stinger) type. What makes these two old Kaywoodies differ from the machine made, hand-finished Kaywoodies we all know and love?
The nomenclature! LOL. It reads.

Handmade, Super Grain, Kaywoodie on the shank. The other side says Imported Briar. Now, what does that all REALLY mean? No clue. Maybe someone else can answer that for us both! But it does have the screw in tenon with stinger, just didn't take a photo of that.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Great restoration Greg. You have a lot more patience then I do. As you explained on one of your previous restorations you do this all by hand. I was never willing enough to work that hard to get a shine that good by hand. I am sure the bent one will look just as good.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
The recent 'Handmades' are made by Bill Feuerbach himself on days the Kaywoodie factory is closed. They don't have the stingers and are one of the best values for artisan pipes.
hp

les

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, guys. When I was more able bodied I enjoyed doing a bit of woodworking, seems like a lifetime ago now. This is a great opportunity for me to do something I really love on a smaller (and more manageable) scale. That's also one of the reasons I took up leatherwork, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.