PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2024
I have a Kaywoodie that I inherited from my dad. For sentimental reasons, I don't want to get rid of it, but when I smoke it, it tends to gurgle. I don't have this problem with any other pipe. Any thoughts?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
You can cut and chamfer the stinger, since you aren’t worried about resale value.
Before that, I’d ask if the stem alignment is correct? Once they get out of alignment the draft hole is no longer at 12 o’clock.
If you cut it, do it properly-don’t try to use plier type cutters. And chamfering/smoothing the stub helps too.
Has the stem and mortise beyond the threaded insert been cleaned throughly? Anything adding turbulence won’t be helping.

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
A lot of moisture can collect in the condenser chamber. And in the stem behind the stinger threads. Unscrew the stem and blow the stem out. Swab out the chamber and carry on.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have a Kaywoodie that I inherited from my dad. For sentimental reasons, I don't want to get rid of it, but when I smoke it, it tends to gurgle. I don't have this problem with any other pipe. Any thoughts?
Don't smoke it. l would never buy an old Kaywoodie for its smoking qualities. They were designed by salesmen for a mid 20th century public besotted by "scientific" gimmicks.

Last edited:
Reactions: burleybreath

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
When my kaywoodie starts to gurgle, I usually , out of laziness, just begin to draw the smoke so slightly that it cannot produce a gurgle anymore. When I’m more ambitious, I unscrew the stem, shake the stinger or wipe it. That said, I don’t often smoke the kaywoodie for that reason among others