PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hebel

Lurker
Feb 26, 2011
I was contemplating buying a Kaywoodie Drinkless Pipe as my first briar pipe. I'm fairly new to pipe smoking and all I have smoked are corn cobs. Any advice?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A Kaywoodie drinkless was one of my first pipes back in the 1960's, so it worked for me. But in hindsight, when compared to a standard, plain pipe they have a bigger PITA factor. Moisture condenses on the metal stinger and they begin to gurgle; and you can't run a pipe cleaner past the stinger section without unscrewing the stem; and dealing with the filthy plumbing is a pain too -- paper towels are a must. I never found a problem with the quality of the smoke, however.

DSCN0340.jpg

They would not be my first choice if I were making a recommendation. Check out PipesAndCigars.com or other's pipe specials before you buy whatever it is you eventually buy.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
The stem with the metal bulb make it more diffucult keep clean than a straight thru stem, I would recomend a pipe without the bulb until you get adapt at cleaning the stem.

hebel

Lurker
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks guys I will keep that in mind, so should I go with a regular Briar without a filter system?

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
My first pipe was a kaywoodie drinkless that i bought at an antique shop. The pipe was in great condition but it had the bulb which needed much cleaning. If you were going to get a drinkless pipe, I would suggest researching how to clean it or talk to an experienced smoker/tobacconist on how to keep up with the cleaning. As long as you know how to properly clean it and keep up with it, I would say go for it, but consider other pipes too. Good smoking hebel!
Craig P.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
pipe-002-600x450.jpg

Where's the resident Kaywoodie fan when you need him? Callin' Collin? I have a few Kaywoodies. Some people love them, some not so much. The stinger has been employed in these pipes for nearly 80 years so if it was a really terrible thing they might have done away with it. I clean mine regularly after use and run a small pipe cleaner thru the stinger to the mouthpiece of the stem. This works fine for me and it usually is clean the second cleaner thru. But pipes are always a very personal choice you go with what you feel is right for you.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I have a couple Kaywoodie pipes and found it a bit annoying that I couldn't stuff a pipe cleaner through them. So I modified them by removing the ball of the stingers. Easy enough to do with a dremel cut-off wheel...just make sure you don't remove the threads.
Keep in mind that modifying the stinger will typically reduce the value of the pipe (from a collectible standpoint).
StingerMods.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
jcsnaps, How does the tiny pipe smoke? Or is it normal sized and the rest of the pipes are huge? Wish you had tossed a tin or set of keys or something into the picture for perspective.
Winton

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
It is a one hit wonder. Actually Kaywoodie produced several versions of miniatures, this one is 2 1/8" long with a 5/8" bowl ht. I've read they were "Salesman Samples". The pipe often comes in a small presentation box, and is an actual Kaywoodie down to the stinger. It does function, though I guess it might be a lip burner rather that a nose warmer.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I was wondering what the difference is between the Standard and the Drinkless. I had both a 205 shape standard and drinkless and when inspecting found 0 differences (except the standard was a 205s and the drinkless was a 205). So anyone know if there is a difference or was it just production years?

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I should note that I LOVE my Kaywoodies. Each and every one of them is drinkless, with the stinger intact, and I love them. They make it so you can be lazier in your packing and still get a decent draw, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.