PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Does anyone here own a pipe by Kai Nielsen? I would like opinions on these pipes and some information on how they smoke. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: Toast
May 14, 2022
We own one and saw 5-6 in Chicago last week. While I've never smoked one, all of the Kais I've seen are well made.

Reactions: Jbyrd

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
We own one and saw 5-6 in Chicago last week. While I've never smoked one, all of the Kais I've seen are well made.
I'm probably going to bye one just trying to get a little info first. They are great looking pipes from what i can tell online. I know that you always take a chance on how they smoke no matter who makes it. Thanks for the reply I was wondering if anyone would respond at all.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
When I look at them I think they MUST be well made or include solid gold tenons.. or something.
I think they all look a little off when it comes to bowl/shank/stem ratio.

IMG_6961.jpegIMG_6962.png

Maybe they'd make more sense to me if I saw them in person but - to my eye, based solely on shape, the prices seem exorbitant.

Also seems like (on SPC anyway) they keep adding pipes but few sell.

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
When I look at them I think they MUST be well made or include solid gold tenons.. or something.
I think they all look a little off when it comes to bowl/shank/stem ratio.

View attachment 220409View attachment 220410

Maybe they'd make more sense to me if I saw them in person but - to my eye, based solely on shape, the prices seem exorbitant.

Also seems like (on SPC anyway) they keep adding pipes but few sell.
That's funny the odd shape is what attracts me to them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
What is your favorite pipe if you don't mind me asking?
I'm partial to adherence to the classic French/British shape chart, especially straight and bent billiards.
I prefer smaller pipes around 1oz or less, smooth or sandblasted (no rustication).
Grain is important to me. I particularly enjoy cross grain with a multitude of birdseye. Straight grain is wonderful too, but well done examples command a higher price tag.
I like simple things executed exceptionably well.

I also like certain things way out of those aesthetic confines, but they have to catch my eye.

There's a couple of those Kai pipes I don't dislike, but I'd have to see them in person. The price seems high.

Reactions: Jbyrd

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Kai Nielsen pipes are really well made, but part of the high price for them is that Kai is a very well established pipe maker, and comes from a family of similarly well established pipe makers. He's the son of Viggo Nielsen, who owned the Bari factory, and made great quality Danish pipes back during the heyday of Danish design. Kai worked in the factory, and then also made pipes together with Viggo and his brother Jørgen under the 'Faaborg' name. Now he does it solo under his own name. So yeah, part of it is paying for pedigree, but they're not going to be bad pipes at all.

Jbyrd

Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
I'm partial to adherence to the classic French/British shape chart, especially straight and bent billiards.
I prefer smaller pipes around 1oz or less, smooth or sandblasted (no rustication).
Grain is important to me. I particularly enjoy cross grain with a multitude of birdseye. Straight grain is wonderful too, but well done examples command a higher price tag.
I like simple things executed exceptionably well.

I also like certain things way out of those aesthetic confines, but they have to catch my eye.

There's a couple of those Kai pipes I don't dislike, but I'd have to see them in person. The price seems high.
I am a Bulldog fan myself and I love birds eye.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I, too, own only one. I like it a lot and it smokes great. Seeing this thread reminded me that there was a handsome Kai at a good price on a Danish site that I've had my eye on. Went there and it was sold!!

• Sad
Reactions: Toast and Jbyrd