Jim's Sutliff Silver Quarter 175th Anniversary Blend Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I believe this goes on sale this coming Tuesday.

The African Virginias range from gold to dark as they provide plenty of tart and tangy citrus, bread, vegetative grass, sugar, floralness, some ripe tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, spice, mild sour lemon, peat, and small touches of smoke, herbs, cigar, acidity and vinegar as the lead components. The center core is perique and black cavendish. The perique in the circle offers a fair amount of spice, earth, wood, bread, plums, figs, and light floralness in full support. The creamy, sugary black cavendish helps tame some of the rough edges. It’s a slot over the condiment line. The strength and taste levels are a step past the medium threshold. The nic-hit is a notch below that mark. No chance of bite or harshness. The rough notes are small. The mildly moist coins easily break apart to suit your packing preference. They don’t need any dry time. Well balanced, it burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a fruity, spicy, moderately floral, sour, lightly creamy, slightly smoky flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. There is a very light inconsistency in the overall flavor, which is typical for coined blends. The room note is closer to tolerable than it is to pleasant. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires a few more than an average number of relights. It may be an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable under any circumstance. I suggest a round bowl for this blend. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.
svC7XaOF.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you @JimInks for the review.
Is this a limited edition blend?
I checked Watch City Cigars and Pipes&Cigars, and I see that they still have the other 175th Sutliff aniversary blend, The Old Boss, in stock. Smoking Pipes is sold out, but they indicate that they may have it back again at some point. From this, I assume it's not a limited release or they wouldn't still be on sale, but this is only a guess on my part. Unless, they never sold out of it.

Tobacco Pipes, owned by Sutliff, does not have it. Perhaps they know if you or somebody else wants to contact them and ask the question. This is all I know to tell you.

mr_trent

Lurker
Sep 17, 2022
I checked Watch City Cigars and Pipes&Cigars, and I see that they still have the other 175th Sutliff aniversary blend, The Old Boss, in stock. Smoking Pipes is sold out, but they indicate that they may have it back again at some point. From this, I assume it's not a limited release or they wouldn't still be on sale, but this is only a guess on my part. Unless, they never sold out of it.
I believe it's a limited release. Watch City has The Old Boss listed as such, and I believe I've heard elsewhere that it would be limited.
Thanks for the release date info. I've been wondering when it was coming out. 😊

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I believe it's a limited release. Watch City has The Old Boss listed as such, and I believe I've heard elsewhere that it would be limited.
Thanks. I figured it would be a limited release, but the tins never state that, and I never saw in print that they were. But, it makes sense to me that they would be considering that they are made to celebrate an anniversary.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I purchased some, with some sunbear, and should have it in a few days. Any thoughts on how it (sutlif silver) compares to the incumbent coins...ie escudo and DNR etc? ....I used to really like escudo but have not cracked a modern tin. Thanks for any observations.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I purchased some, with some sunbear, and should have it in a few days. Any thoughts on how it (sutlif silver) compares to the incumbent coins...ie escudo and DNR etc? ....I used to really like escudo but have not cracked a modern tin. Thanks for any observations.
How does this compare to Luxury Bullseye Flake?
Thanks for another quality review. Looks a lot like Escudo.
Fellas,
I answered these questions elsewhere, and this was what I had to say although you may be disappointed by it: Because several companies have switched out their Virginias in their blends with K&K and STG being the worst offenders, I don't know what LBF and Davidoff are like now. I smoked them years ago, but I do not feel that what I smoked then will necessarily be what they are now. I can say that the African Virginias used in this 175 anni blend certainly seem different to me than the Virginias in those other blends, and that this production is spicier than the current Escudo. I do know that it's not the current Escudo which I tried months back, and that's all I can say for certain. Escudo isn't like the old version any more.

Due to my lack of experience with the current LBF and Davidoff productions, I can't give you an honest assessment.

Last edited: