Jim's SPC Hogshead Bourbon Barrel Aged Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Tuesday, July 23 at 6 p.m. EST.

The African and Brazilian orange and red Virginias lead a light amount of American bright Virginia. They provide an abundance of tart and tangy, tingly citrus, bread, earth, wood, grassy vegetation, some floralness, peat, tangy dark fruit, sugar, sour lemon, mild stewed fruit, spice, and smoke, with touches of vinegar and acidity. They are bourbon barrel aged for thirty days. The oaky, fruity, floral, mildly smoky, lightly sour bourbon moderately tones down the Virginias although it weakens a mite near the last quarter of the experience. The strength is a step past the center of medium to strong. The taste is a notch past that mark. The nic-hit edges past the medium threshold. It won’t bite or get harsh, but it does sport a few small rough edges. This mildly moist crumble cake easily breaks apart to suit your preference, and needs no dry time. Deeply rich, it burns cool, clean and slow with very consistent sweet, fruity, oaky, floral, spicy, moderately sour, smoky, lightly acidic, zesty flavor that extends to the pleasantly lasting after taste. The room note is very pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. I don’t recommend a big bowl for this one. Three stars.
©Jim Amash 2024.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Good review. I really like Hogshead and will probably buy a couple of tins. I do wonder though about the ongoing gimmickry with blends. Does the Bourbon Barrel aging really make the blend really different? Did the exorbitantly priced recent edition of Plum Pudding do anything but increase profits?