PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Great reviews Jim. I agree with your tasting notes. My rating system is different than yours though. Mine is based purely on how I liked the blends. I thought the Va and VaOr lacked sweetness and were too tart. I smoked the VaOr immediately after the Va and thought the flavor profile very similar. The tart and citrus flavors over whelmed everything else.

The 3rd blend had an after taste similar to the Sutliff Crumble Kake blends. By no means were the blends awful but I couldn't give them more than 2 1/2 or 3 stars at best. Assuming they are C&D made, it may be they simply need a few weeks of airing out time to get better.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great reviews Jim. I agree with your tasting notes. My rating system is different than yours though. Mine is based purely on how I liked the blends. I thought the Va and VaOr lacked sweetness and were too tart. I smoked the VaOr immediately after the Va and thought the flavor profile very similar. The tart and citrus flavors over whelmed everything else.

The 3rd blend had an after taste similar to the Sutliff Crumble Kake blends. By no means were the blends awful but I couldn't give them more than 2 1/2 or 3 stars at best. Assuming they are C&D made, it may be they simply need a few weeks of airing out time to get better.

Thank you for the kind words.

I rate blends according to other blends in similar genres, and not for my personal taste. That's why we have different ratings. If one is not a reviewer, then your system is the best way to do it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thank you for the kind words.

I rate blends according to other blends in similar genres, and not for my personal taste. That's why we have different ratings. If one is not a reviewer, then your system is the best way to do it.
it is very different to review casually and professionally. Casually it's all about ones' own experience, professionally it is about communicating how the experience will be for others.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
it is very different to review casually and professionally. Casually it's all about ones' own experience, professionally it is about communicating how the experience will be for others.

No question. I know what I like but my palate isn't close to being fine tuned enough to delineate individual flavors like Jim does. I have often decided to purchase a blend based upon Jim's review. Way more often than not, that's proven to be a wise decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.