Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias have a fair amount of tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, some grass, tart and tangy citrus, vegetation, mild floralness, a couple of cigar notes, and a pinch of spice. They are bolstered by the bold nutty, earthy, woody, sweet burleys. The fruit toppings remind me of dried fruit, citrus, and figs. They mildly sublimate the tobaccos. The strength is a couple of notches past the medium mark. The taste level is almost in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is a step and a half short of medium. You'll need to be patient as you prepare it for smoking, and however you decide to cut the plug, you'll need to give this some dry time before lighting a match to it. Take the time, work with it, and you'll be rewarded with a mildly creamy, smooth, very deep, consistent, cool, clean flavor to the finish. It's slow burning, requires several relights, and there will be a little moisture at the bottom of the bowl. Won't bite or get harsh, but has a rough edge here and there. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. The room note is a slot stronger. Not quite an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

Update 8-5-2022. The blend has been changed. It’s a little more floral, sour, a tad spicier, rougher, less sweet, and the toppings are a shade less obvious. The citrus is much more prominent than the dark fruit. It has a light acidity which wasn’t present in the earlier productions. These variations indicate that the dark red Virginias were mostly or completely replaced by bright Virginias though the plug looks very close to what it was before. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels have not changed. All of the other previous aspects remain the same. Three stars.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
When would you say these changes took place? My local has some tins that have been sitting there for quite some time.

Thanks for the update.

Reactions: JimInks

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I have no idea. A friend told me it had changed, and he sent me the current version and the 2016 version. That's what I had to go by.
This is what throws me. I would think a 2016 tin smoked in 2022 would have changed from a 2016 tin smoked in 2016. I don't mean to be contrary but I don't see how we could compare an older 2016 tin with a brand new tin. That 2016 tin no longer represents how it smoked in 2016. It represents how it changed and smokes today. I'm pretty sure my taste buds as well as my sense of smell are kinda shot so my opinions are really just "for me".
I could see a comparison of todays tin to the write up that was made in 2016. I guess I'm just not experienced to make anything other than a rudimentary comparison.
I was recently gifted, from a generous forum member, a 2018 tin of F&T Vintage and a 2020 tin of Capstan Blue. I purchased the same tins, new. I then compared. In both situations the older tins seemed more mello, and burned smoother. Newer tins seemed a bit more flavorful. Again, most likely my fried taste buds.
As an aside, that Fribourg & Treyer (named Vintage) was an AWESOME smoke. Really Really good, at least for me with my pathetic taste buds.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is what throws me. I would think a 2016 tin smoked in 2022 would have changed from a 2016 tin smoked in 2016. I don't mean to be contrary but I don't see how we could compare an older 2016 tin with a brand new tin. That 2016 tin no longer represents how it smoked in 2016. It represents how it changed and smokes today. I'm pretty sure my taste buds as well as my sense of smell are kinda shot so my opinions are really just "for me".
I could see a comparison of todays tin to the write up that was made in 2016. I guess I'm just not experienced to make anything other than a rudimentary comparison.
I was recently gifted, from a generous forum member, a 2018 tin of F&T Vintage and a 2020 tin of Capstan Blue. I purchased the same tins, new. I then compared. In both situations the older tins seemed more mello, and burned smoother. Newer tins seemed a bit more flavorful. Again, most likely my fried taste buds.
As an aside, that Fribourg & Treyer (named Vintage) was an AWESOME smoke. Really Really good, at least for me with my pathetic taste buds.
I can agree with your comment, but I will add that I have smoked a lot of 3Ps in my life time and am familiar enough with it that I really didn't need to do a direct comparison. I did it anyway because I felt it was a useful thing to do, and a friend who noticed the diffrences sent me both versions so I could see for myself. I wanted to make certain of the red/dark Va. content versus bright. Even if I hadn't done the comparison test, I would have come to the same conclusions because very little bright was in the older productions.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I bought a fresh can of 3P’s last week and, on initial smokes, it did come across as very ‘sour’ to my taste buds.

I’m not going to be smoking it on a regular basis I don’t think so I’m hoping some time, sitting in a jar, will mellow out the sourness, or my taste buds will change.

Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing how this one ‘develops’.

Thanks for the review. ✌?

I totally see what you mean, byt Jim has an amazing memory for taste. And, he has his older reviews to refer to. He is also a very nice guy.

Thanks @JimInks for the update. I will have to add some of the new to age along with my older tins.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I can agree with your comment, but I will add that I have smoked a lot of 3Ps in my life time and am familiar enough with it that I really didn't need to do a direct comparison. I did it anyway because I felt it was a useful thing to do, and a friend who noticed the diffrences sent me both versions so I could see for myself. I wanted to make certain of the red/dark Va. content versus bright. Even if I hadn't done the comparison test, I would have come to the same conclusions because very little bright was in the older productions.
I wish I tasted the flavors you do. I'm jealous. Perhaps in time. Love your posts. Got one tin of 3P. For me, awesome. Noobs shouldn't limit themselves to Lane 1Q or light all day smokes. Hit up a big dark plug and go for it. Love this site, its patrons, and camaraderie.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I totally see what you mean, byt Jim has an amazing memory for taste. And, he has his older reviews to refer to. He is also a very nice guy.

Thanks @JimInks for the update. I will have to add some of the new to age along with my older tins.
Thanks for the kind words. As you know, bright Virginias ages better than any other Virginia, so in time, I think 3Ps will perform better.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I cellared many tins in 2018. Jim any guess if this would be the older version?