PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In 1976, I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. In 2012, I decided to try it again. The burleys are nutty, woody, earthy, and bready with a touch of cocoa. They are the lead components. The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is in the background. The toppings are mild chocolate, a little molasses, and light bourbon, and mildly tone down the tobaccos. The toppings do weaken a tad around the last quarter of the experience, and the natural tobacco flavors become more obvious. The one drawback is that with the lessening of the topping, you can experience a cigarette note or two if you puff fast. The strength, taste and nic-hit levels are mild. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does sport a few small rough edges. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and evenly. Packs very easily, with a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. It's easily an all day smoke. It goes well with any drink you choose. Three stars.

UPDATE 6-2022: This blend is currently made in the Dominican Republic and there are some differences between it and the old Carter Hall. The chocolate and bourbon are a little stronger now, so you won’t notice the expected nutty quality of the burleys quite as much. The effect of the molasses is lighter as a result even though the chocolate isn’t as rich in flavor as the earlier production. However, the toppings do lightly weaken after the half way point, and the familiar, though mildly rougher and savory nutty, earthy, woody burley notes light rise to your taste buds. So does a slight sourness. The Virginia is reduced in status a mite. The toppings have a very small chemical note as they help create a smoother, mildly less tobacco forward version of the old CH. There’s still a chance of a cigarette note due to fast puffing after the half way mark. The strength and taste are a couple steps past the mild mark. The nic-hit is a notch behind them. All of the other aspects of the original that I noted in the first paragraph still apply. This manufacture is a two star blend, and my Tobacco Review site rating reflects Carter Hall’s latest version.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an accurate assessment of CH from my perspective, but what a world of difference there is with regards to burley these days compared to 1976. CH is the old style light aromatic burley our grandfathers enjoyed. In the last thirty years or so, burley has edged its way into premium blends. I associate this especially with Cornell & Diehl, in terms of using burley as a base tobacco for a variety of English blends and a condiment in other blends, English and otherwise. Now many blenders offer burley among their bases and condiments. I've been enjoying GLP's Barbary Coast with cube cut burley as its base. Burley is as tasty and refined a leaf as any, and I do enjoy and appreciate Virginia leaf in all its variety and proportions in so many blends too. But at heart, I'm a burley devotee.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
In 1976, I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. In 2012, I decided to try it again. The burleys are nutty, woody, earthy, and bready with a touch of cocoa. They are the lead components. The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is in the background. The toppings are mild chocolate, a little molasses, and light bourbon, and mildly tone down the tobaccos. The toppings do weaken a tad around the last quarter of the experience, and the natural tobacco flavors become more obvious. The one drawback is that with the lessening of the topping, you can experience a cigarette note or two if you puff fast. The strength, taste and nic-hit levels are mild. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does sport a few small rough edges. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and evenly. Packs very easily, with a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. It's easily an all day smoke. It goes well with any drink you choose. Three stars.

UPDATE 6-2022: This blend is currently made in the Dominican Republic and there are some differences between it and the old Carter Hall. The chocolate and bourbon are a little stronger now, so you won’t notice the expected nutty quality of the burleys quite as much. The effect of the molasses is lighter as a result even though the chocolate isn’t as rich in flavor as the earlier production. However, the toppings do lightly weaken after the half way point, and the familiar, though mildly rougher and savory nutty, earthy, woody burley notes light rise to your taste buds. So does a slight sourness. The Virginia is reduced in status a mite. The toppings have a very small chemical note as they help create a smoother, mildly less tobacco forward version of the old CH. There’s still a chance of a cigarette note due to fast puffing after the half way mark. The strength and taste are a couple steps past the mild mark. The nic-hit is a notch behind them. All of the other aspects of the original that I noted in the first paragraph still apply. This manufacture is a two star blend, and my Tobacco Review site rating reflects Carter Hall’s latest version.
So the chemical taste is toned down somewhat? Seems to be mixed thoughts on the Dr production.

Reactions: kcghost

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
So the chemical taste is toned down somewhat? Seems to be mixed thoughts on the Dr production.
It's not identical, but the DR production is still very good to my unrefined palate. It's my number one most smoked blend, and the changes weren't so drastic that I found it off-putting.
That having been said, I still wish Middleton had kept production of these classic blends (CH and PA) in the US.

Reactions: Reggie and towhee89

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
This is a bummer to find out. I'm in my first month or 2 of pipe smoking and have found a favorite in the US CH. I'll buy up the last pouch at the store and ask if they have any more, and check the tub at the other tobacco store and get it if it's not DR made. I really do wanna try the DR one but I'd hate to spend $30 on it and be stuck with it. I'm guessing due to issues with COVID among other things ($$$$ related, I am sure! :D) they decided to move the production there and cut out the pouches, which may have been a production cost they wanted to remove. I love them, though - I chew and dip also and love how the foil pouches are exactly like a bag of chew. Thanks all!

Also, speaking of PA, that chemical taste I'm getting really irks me after a while, which is why I may want to give the new one a try anyhow. It'd be perfect if not for that. As I said I'm a new smoker and while I plan to go to Pipes LTD in Hickory next week, right now I have only tried codger and Lane bulk blends that I can get locally.

Reactions: JimInks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried the Dominican CH. I've always enjoyed at least some of the Dominican cigars, but pipe tobacco is a different product.

There are several burley based codger blends I do enjoy. EGR is a fine traditional smoke that seems to have maintained its legacy, and I do like SWRA well, burley based with Virginia as a condiment, flavored with three liqueurs, pretty snazzy for an OTC blend. And for more fundamental burley OTC's, I think Granger and SWR regular are good.

If you liked the old CH, PC's Midtown series Chatham Manor has some of the old positive traits of CH, though it is not really a Match by my thinking, but good.

For me Velvet is just a bridge too far in mildness, and Half-and-Half is kind of harsh for blending burley and Virginia which is usually a guaranteed winner.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
I ordered some single ounces of Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed and Lane BL/WB to try as alternatives available in bulk. I still like the DR production CH, but figured I'd give other codgerly options a shot.

I actually have the Lane BLWB and at first I was taken aback by the earthy, in your face smell but it tastes great smoking it altho needs a lot of dry time, it's great as a mixer. I wanna try Ready Rubbed and some other Burley matches.

Reactions: Lumbridge

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
CH is one of the classics I'd love to try, but I'm not willing to purchase a whole tub of something I've never had. I'm fond of Half & Half though so maybe I'll relent

Half & Half is way more cased, and I thought cloying although I like it. Carter Hall is a lot less topped, and smells more like straight tobacco. It has a lot of flavor though. I read a review saying it made a good chew so I've dipped it and it tastes exactly like Lancaster chewing tobacco, so molasses and raisins and maybe anise. It smokes like a dream too and has absolutely no bite. At first I was underwhelmed but after smoking it more now it is one of my favorites. Keep in mind, I'm still new to pipe smoking (altho been using other forms of tobacco for many years) and I haven't tried a lot of the premium blends, YET. But if all I could smoke was what I can find at the local vape shops, I'd be happy!

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
CH is one of the classics I'd love to try, but I'm not willing to purchase a whole tub of something I've never had. I'm fond of Half & Half though so maybe I'll relent
CH is much more tobacco-forward than Half & Half, but you might like it. Maybe try the Sutliff Match Carter Hall (a.k.a. Chatham Manor or Estate Blend) first, though it's different from CH, but in the same ballpark.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Half & Half is way more cased, and I thought cloying although I like it. Carter Hall is a lot less topped, and smells more like straight tobacco. It has a lot of flavor though. I read a review saying it made a good chew so I've dipped it and it tastes exactly like Lancaster chewing tobacco, so molasses and raisins and maybe anise. It smokes like a dream too and has absolutely no bite. At first I was underwhelmed but after smoking it more now it is one of my favorites. Keep in mind, I'm still new to pipe smoking (altho been using other forms of tobacco for many years) and I haven't tried a lot of the premium blends, YET. But if all I could smoke was what I can find at the local vape shops, I'd be happy!
If you like cross/rough cut, earthy burleys and don't mind a little perique, consider Haunted Bookshop if you haven't already tried it. Wonderful stuff.

Haha, I've never thought about chewing CH, but I tried chewing Captain Black once when I was a noob (bad idea). VA flakes make great chews if not too heavily cased. I've chewed Newminster Navy Flake on occasion and it actually tastes pretty good.

Reactions: towhee89
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Perhaps this has already been beaten to death elsewhere, but seeing as the only option for buying Carter Hall anymore is the 14oz tub, does it make more sense to go for the H&H match blend? CH is on my ever-growing list of blends to try, but if people generally figure the match is better at this point, I'd rather go straight for that. puffy

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Perhaps this has already been beaten to death elsewhere, but seeing as the only option for buying Carter Hall anymore is the 14oz tub, does it make more sense to go for the H&H match blend? CH is on my ever-growing list of blends to try, but if people generally figure the match is better at this point, I'd rather go straight for that. puffy
4Noggins has 2 oz bags of CH available.