PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The smoky, woody, earthy, leathery, musty, sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, thought it doesn’t dominate the experience due to the richness of the other varietals. The tangy, potent incense-like, very spicy Orientals provide a lot of earth, woody, smoke, herbs, floralness, pepper, vegetation, a little buttery sweetness with some sourness as important supporting players. One of the Virginias laying the foundation in this production is the tangy ripe dark fruity, earthy, bready, woody, rather vinegary/barbecue-like essence, light citrus, sugar, floralness and spice aspects from the red Virginia. That tobacco is a tad more obvious than the tart and tangy citrusy, grassy, floral, mildly sugary bright Virginia. There’s a light fermented quality inherent in the mix as well. The strength is in the center of medium to strong, while the taste is full. The nic-hit is a slot short of the strength level. No chance of bite or harshness, but there are a few small rough edges as you would expect from this kind of blend. This plug is really more of a denser crumble cake, and easily breaks apart to suit your packing preference. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a well balanced, complex, nuanced, mostly consistent, deeply rich, mildly sweet and sour and very savory, floral, spicy, tangy campfire flavor that translates to the pleasantly long lingering after taste and room note. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but despite its robust character, it can be a repeatable experience during your smoking day. Four stars.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks. Glad you could review it.

I find it hard to make comparisons to other blends from a single review. Is it in the Quiet Nights range? Stronger? More oriental?

I don't like to compare blends either and I seldom do it. Here's my review of Quiet Nights for your own comparison:

I was surprised at the sweetness of the blend, which is mostly all natural, chiefly springing from the sweet, slightly tangy, earthy, woody red Virginia, which forms the base of the blend. The Cyprian Latakia is smokey, earthy, musty sweet with a slight woodsy note in a small support role. The plumy, raisiny perique is light, but adds a here and there spice hit that offers a little complexity. Orientals and Turkish provide a woody, dry, earthy, herbal, floral, vegetative, lightly spicy, mildly sour push to elevate the body of the blend. None of the components drown each other out, providing a well composed all day smoke if you wish it to be. The strength is two steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste just reaches the medium mark. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool, clean and even at a moderate pace with a richly consistent, sweet and savory flavor from top to bottom. Leaves almost no moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and slightly stronger room note. Not quite an all day smoke.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I know, I am late to the party on this one. After the disaster (IMO) of Penny Farthing, I was reluctant to try this blend when it came out. Of course, Jim’s review exhibited his usual great discernment. I definitely concur with his 4 star review. I believe this is a kissing cousin of Quiet Night. It may be taboo but, it is worth the indulgence. This goes to the cellar deeper list.

Status
Not open for further replies.