Jim's C&D Palmetto Balkan 2024 (Small Batch) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Tuesday, March 26 at 6 pm. EST.

The tart and tangy, sun cured 2018 Basma and 2019 Izmir provide an abundance of earth, wood, herbs, dry, bitter, rough sourness, spice, vegetation, floralness, some incense, mild buttery, creamy sweetness, tart citrus, and smoke as the lead components. The proprietary processed Turkish Latakia offers plenty of floralness, herbs, incense, earth, wood, smoke, tangy dark fruit, red wine-like sweetness, spice, some leather, vegetation, mild sourness, and soft feel as an important supporting player. Its presence is a little more obvious than it was in the original manufacture due to its Oriental quality. The Carolina red, orange and mahogany Virginias produce some tart and tangy citrus, earth, wood, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, tangy ripe dark fruit, moderate vegetation, spice, light vinegar, and a hint of cream. They are a couple of steps behind the Latakia as they were previously. The strength and nic-hit are a step below the center of medium to strong. The taste is in that center. These particular aspects are a little more potent than they were in the original production. Won’t bite or get harsh, but has a few small rough notes as blends in this genre often do. Well balanced with some obvious and nuanced complexity, it burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent floral, sour, spicy, sweet and smoky, lightly rough, very zesty, savory quality that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires an average number of relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. It’s a tad more floral, spicy, sweet, sour and smoky this time. I gave the first version three stars, but this one gets four out of four due it having a little more depth and body from the Turkish Latakia.
©Jim Amash 2024.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Nice I just smoked a bowl of the original with the proprietary processed latakia. After popping the tin I jarred it up in a big jar set it aside and had a few bowls then just left it alon till today . The lid was super tight so some fermentation was happening but I wanted a bowl this rainy march day. The Syrian like quality of the Latakia was not as wine like as when fresh but it was very smooth and incense like, creamy on the tounge and almost like an aged Syrian blend where the latakia is toned down but evend out. I haven't wanted a new balkan blend as much as this in a while, the new Turkish latakia is a very intriguing addition. Thanks Jim for another good 1.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Thanks for the compliment. The original production is very good, and I enjoyed smoking it. I just felt that the new version is a more "stand out in the crowd" blend for the reasons I mentioned in the review.
My idle time in the hospital during my wife’s surgery today led me to order a couple tins, one to smoke and one to cellar, so your thoughts on it is reassuring to me. Thanks again!