Jim's C&D Carolina Red Flake 2024 (Small Batch) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Sept. 24 at 6 p.m. EST.

The two 2019 and the 2022 Old Belt orange and mostly red Virginias produce a wealth of tangy and rather tart citrus, grass/hay, bread, wood, earth, sugar, floralness, some tangy ripe dark fruit, vegetation, mild spice, sourness, light sour lemon, and acidic vinegar. The strength and taste are a step past the medium mark. The nic-hit almost reaches the medium threshold. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few light rough notes. The broken flakes are easy to prepare as you wish. They are a little moist, and may need a light dry time. As is my custom, I did not do that for this review nor did I see a need for it. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent, zesty, deeply rich flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is fairly pleasant and sweet. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights; less so as you go along. Can be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker, and is repeatable under any circumstance. This particular production is not as sugary as the first two, which allows the inherent natural citrus to be a notch more obvious. It also has a tad more savory tart sourness than the others did. Should age well. Three and a half stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This goes on sale Sept. 24 at 6 p.m. EST.

The two 2019 and the 2022 Old Belt orange and mostly red Virginias produce a wealth of tangy and rather tart citrus, grass/hay, bread, wood, earth, sugar, floralness, some tangy ripe dark fruit, vegetation, mild spice, sourness, light sour lemon, and acidic vinegar. The strength and taste are a step past the medium mark. The nic-hit almost reaches the medium threshold. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few light rough notes. The broken flakes are easy to prepare as you wish. They are a little moist, and may need a light dry time. As is my custom, I did not do that for this review nor did I see a need for it. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent, zesty, deeply rich flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is fairly pleasant and sweet. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights; less so as you go along. Can be an day smoke for the experienced smoker, and is repeatable under any circumstance. This particular production is not as sugary as the first two, which allows the inherent natural citrus to be a notch more obvious. It also has a tad more savory tart sourness than the others did. Should age well. Three and a half stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.
Good write up as always. One thing I noticed is did you mean “all day smoke”. If so I saw the all was missing :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Looking forward to this release and very happy to hear that there is, among all of the notes, a bit of vinegar. Hoping the Sutliff goe back in time on this years Cringle Flake and releases a version which hearkens back to the 2019 iteration.
The vinegar is very light. You almost have to look for it.

Good write up as always. One thing I noticed is did you mean “all day smoke”. If so I saw the all was missing :)
Yes, I did. I'll get it corrected. Thanks.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
hmm 🤔

tad more savory tart sourness than the others did

The first time I tried Red Flake, was the 2020 release, I found it to be on a sweet side. Ever since, I’ve always enjoyed VAs, that have a slight sweetness to them.

I wish this had something of a sweet side, maybe I’ll try a tin. I have only one Red Flake tin, a 2018, never had this year before, but it‘s going to be a few years before I open it.

Thanks for the review Jim, be well! ❤️

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
hmm 🤔

tad more savory tart sourness than the others did

The first time I tried Red Flake, was the 2020 release, I found it to be on a sweet side. Ever since, I’ve always enjoyed VAs, that have a slight sweetness to them.

I wish this had something of a sweet side, maybe I’ll try a tin. I have only one Red Flake tin, a 2018, never had this year before, but it‘s going to be a few years before I open it.

Thanks for the review Jim, be well! ❤️
You're welcome. Btw, I didn't say it wasn't sweet. I'm saying it is less sweet compared to earlier versions. The sour notes are a tad more obvious due to a lower sugar content, but the more natural tobacco quality may be more to the liking of some smokers. I also think this one may age better than some of the earlier versions. I generally think that whenever I smoke a blend like this one.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
20,000 tins is alot kinda makes the small batch more of a medium batch. I even thought 12 and 8 thousand tins was alot. I miss the good Ole days when I had to be on the site when it dropped and might get it or might not, and it would sell out in seconds. That Might sound weird but it was a fun thing to me just knowing there is 20,000 makes me less in a fomo state to buy because the resell price won't change much. I'm all for more people getting ahold of the blend but if the next batch is 30,000 tins then I know it's all marketing. I love CRF but the hype Is fading with each release because each release just gets larger and larger.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
20,000 tins is alot kinda makes the small batch more of a medium batch. I even thought 12 and 8 thousand tins was alot. I miss the good Ole days when I had to be on the site when it dropped and might get it or might not, and it would sell out in seconds. That Might sound weird but it was a fun thing to me just knowing there is 20,000 makes me less in a fomo state to buy because the resell price won't change much. I'm all for more people getting ahold of the blend but if the next batch is 30,000 tins then I know it's all marketing. I love CRF but the hype Is fading with each release because each release just gets larger and larger.
Actually, it's 18,000 tins, not 20,000. I don't see anything wrong with C&D trying to get a decent size batch out there so those who want it can buy it at market price instead of higher prices on the secondary market. The more the merrier for smokers.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
because the resell price won't change much
Good. Gives people who actually want to smoke a chance to buy and discourages the flippers out for a quick buck.
The "small batch" thing is just marketing but who cares, they keep the price reasonable and keeping a regular annual schedule allows us to plan our purchases.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
There are definitely marketing elements to the "Small Batch" series, and the use of FOMO, but they do seem to use special stocks of tobacco that are in limited supply. When they run out of a crop of Red VA for Interlude, there's no trouble substituting the latest harvests and trying to match the spirit of the blend. But if a blend is using specific vintages of varieties, they are limited to what they have.

As for the flippers, I have no more regard for them in tobacco than I do in real estate or event tickets.