PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this James Upshall Rhodesian on Ebay last week, from the UK. It arrived today and was in even better condition than the pictures indicated. I just had to give it a quick buff with some white diamond, than carnuba. I polished the stem with some Meguiars plastic polish, on the wheel. It looked smoked very little, so I gave it a quick ream and than soak in Everclear & Sea salt.
This appears to be an early Upshall, as the nomenclature is stamped and the JU stem stamp is larger than current production. There is no grade stamp, another indicator of an early pipe. I'd say it is about a size 4. The drilling is spot-on as well.
I smoked a bowl of Faders "King Eider" in this afternoon and it has the perfect Upshall draw. It's packed for my trip to FL, and I'll look forward to breaking it in there.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice one Al. You guys got me watching that ebay now. :twisted: I remember seeing that one. Enjoy!

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Beautiful pipe I've always been a fan of the rhodesian and bulldog shapes, hope it smokes well :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We drove to Key West this morning, the wife asked if she could stop at the Sandal Outlet to shop. Sure! I broke out a beach chair and made myself at home. This pipe is smoking wonderfully, another Upshall winner.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
smoked a pipe...outside a store....in KEY WEST, fl.???? and you lived to tell about it?? for supposedly one of the most "liberal" cities in the u.s., i found key west to be a particularly smoking-unfriendly place, lol.

good for you; looks like you were particularly relaxed and happy.

i smoked both pipes and cigars while strolling thru the city and received numerous "nasty looks!" but, can't say they were from the natives...maybe just other tourists like me. must admit it didn't ruin my experience though!

all the best, jr/john

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thats a great looking pipe, awesome job! also, ya look pretty laid back smoking outside that store haha.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
.in KEY WEST, fl.???? and you lived to tell about it?? for supposedly one of the most "liberal" cities in the u.s., i found key west to be a particularly smoking-unfriendly place, lol.
We were here two years ago, but I didn't smoke a pipe then. I was pleasantly surprised to find this sign in every bar we stopped in last night. I had my Mark Tinsky and pointed to it as we entered, "no problem". No customer complaints either. We were in three different places last night and I enjoyed a pipe in each one. Amazing.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
Al,

lol, maybe it was ME, not the pipe or cigars, they found objectionable! jr/john

Status
Not open for further replies.