PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jack Kirby would have been 107 today. He was more than a great comic book editor/writer/artist. He influenced generations of comics creators, film makers, and fans as a never ending fountain of concepts that have touched all corners of this planet. To those of us who knew him, Jack was even more important as a kind, thoughtful, generous, loving, irreplaceable friend. Whatever we gave him, he gave more to us.
Jim&Kirby_1991-1.jpg
Kirby_pipe.jpg

I own this unpublished Thor page.
Kirby_Thor#169.jpg
Kirby1970.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a Kirby story I wrote elsewhere:
I was a house guest of the Kirbys' for a few days after the 1991 San Diego Con. My wife knew Jack loved chocolate cake, so she made a small one (sans icing, but it was still very tasty), and mailed it so it arrived the day after we got to the house. Jack was thrilled about it, but Roz said, "You can only eat a little bit, Jack. Remember you're on a diet!" When Roz wasn't looking, I gave Kirby an extra piece of cake. He ate it real fast and asked,"Are their any crumbs on my shirt?" "No, Jack. I think we got away with it." And we did!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Jack Kirby would have been 107 today. He was more than a great comic book editor/writer/artist. He influenced generations of comics creators, film makers, and fans as a never ending fountain of concepts that have touched all corners of this planet. To those of us who knew him, Jack was even more important as a kind, thoughtful, generous, loving, irreplaceable friend. Whatever we gave him, he gave more to us.
View attachment 332893
View attachment 332895

I own this unpublished Thor page.
View attachment 332896
View attachment 332897
Sounds like a great person and a good friend!