PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Is anyone familiar with this blend? It's "International Mixture" on the packaging. IR sells it as an "English" and reviews at tobaccoreviews.com refer to it as a crossover blend.

My question is this - How is this not an aromatic? It's listed as having no added flavoring and the ratings are overwhelmingly "none detected" on the flavoring. Most reviews comment that it's "pure tobacco flavor." When I opened my pouch it looked exactly like 1-Q (fairly even mix of black and brown ribbons), it felt like 1-Q (slightly damp and borderline sticky), and it smells reminiscent of a 1-Qlike aromatic.

I don't say any of this disparagingly, I quite like 1-Q and I quite like this blend. I am just flabbergasted that what I have here is the same tobacco that is referenced in the reviews at tobaccoreviews.com. So, the question is, for those of you who have experience with this blend - is it unadulterated tobacco flavor/non-aromatic, or a relatively heavily-cased aromatic with a smidge of latakia? I'm genuinely flummoxed on this.

edited to add: Tobacco Reviews | Iwan Ries - International - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/596/iwan-ries-international

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Thankfully, there is no agency which oversees blenders/manufacturers, government or otherwise. Call it what you wish. Of course this all depends on your palate and what you taste. I smoke a few IRC blends, one in particular, I'm perfectly fine with how they classify their blends.

is it unadulterated tobacco flavor/non-aromatic,
Pretty much all blends are adulterated in some manner or another before they go in the tin or bag.

Reactions: anotherbob