Is the Old Discontinued Lane Edgeworth Ready Rub Desirable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I bought two 14 oz tubs of the Lane Edgeworth Ready Rub tobacco back in 2008 when it was discontinued or announced to be discontinued. I payed a premium for them then. I've smoked part of one tin. I was curious if this is a desirable / collectible tobacco today or if the Sutliff Match makes it just a run of the mill tobacco.

Thanks for your opinions.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I wonder why it the name wasn't changed to Sutliff Ready Rubbed? ...since Lane is a company that still exists.
This is like the damn studio film credits at the beginning of a movie - remember when there was just one outfit that made the movie?

You would see the lion or the Warner Bros logo and that was it. Now the first twenty minutes is a recital of the ten or twelve firms working on the thing, each with its own glitzy presentation and logos and theme music, then ... nope, not the movie, more crap. Followed by, you guessed it, more preparatory bullshit and more logos and more theme music (in Dolby TC wizbang CXXII 3.0! Stereo ultrasound!).

Makes you long for a nice white pouch that says “pipe tobacco”. ?

And if some wiseass ever invents a musical ad that plays a commercial upon opening the pouch along with an Oscar speech thanking the sponsors I’m giving up pipe smoking and taking up dope.

From the original Dunhill (Peterson) recipe blended by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group under license from MacBaren under license from British American Tobacco in cooperation with Middleton Tobacco, made from the finest American leaf, grown in Malawi and blended in Ireland by agreement with the English distributor under license from Kretek and imported by Laudisi Distribution Group and Dan Tobacco, a Lane Exclusive product sold only by Pipes and Cigars under agreement with Sutliff, some assembly required, batteries not included, void where prohibited, if you experience an erection lasting longer than four hours consult your doctor immediately, may cause inflammation, muscle soreness, death or a craving for Boy George songs, brought to you by our sponsor, Geritol, in Dolby stereo!

Okay, I think I’m done ranting now. As you might have guessed, the naming rights madness gets me a bit riled up, lol. ?

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I believe they are still readily available? And looks to be about $45 for a 14 oz tub.

I would personally be curious to see what almost 20 years does for a topped burley blend, but the age is the only 'added market value' here.
Wow, I did not realize Lane had reintroduced it under the shortened name. Thanks. Tobaccoreviews.com says the Lane Edgeworth RR is still discontinued which maybe it technically under the full name.

Reactions: kcghost

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wow, I did not realize Lane had reintroduced it under the shortened name. Thanks. Tobaccoreviews.com says the Lane Edgeworth RR is still discontinued which maybe it technically under the full name.
TR lists the original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed as discontinued because it was. The current Lane Limited Ready Rubbed version is based on the original formula, but my guess is that it is listed separately because it's a different manufacture reintroduced years after the old one ceased production. Lane doesn't own the rights to the Edgeworth name, so they can't use it. Sutliff had to change the name of their Match version to "Ready Rubbed" for the same reason.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I bought two 14 oz tubs of the Lane Edgeworth Ready Rub tobacco back in 2008 when it was discontinued or announced to be discontinued. I payed a premium for them then. I've smoked part of one tin. I was curious if this is a desirable / collectible tobacco today or if the Sutliff Match makes it just a run of the mill tobacco.

Thanks for your opinions.
While they are close to being the same blend, I can detect a few minor differences. Whether you prefer one to the other really depends on your personal preference. Both have their place in our world.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is like the damn studio film credits at the beginning of a movie - remember when there was just one outfit that made the movie?

You would see the lion or the Warner Bros logo and that was it. Now the first twenty minutes is a recital of the ten or twelve firms working on the thing, each with its own glitzy presentation and logos and theme music, then ... nope, not the movie, more crap. Followed by, you guessed it, more preparatory bullshit and more logos and more theme music (in Dolby TC wizbang CXXII 3.0! Stereo ultrasound!).

Makes you long for a nice white pouch that says “pipe tobacco”. ?

And if some wiseass ever invents a musical ad that plays a commercial upon opening the pouch along with an Oscar speech thanking the sponsors I’m giving up pipe smoking and taking up dope.

From the original Dunhill (Peterson) recipe blended by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group under license from MacBaren under license from British American Tobacco in cooperation with Middleton Tobacco, made from the finest American leaf, grown in Malawi and blended in Ireland by agreement with the English distributor under license from Kretek and imported by Laudisi Distribution Group and Dan Tobacco, a Lane Exclusive product sold only by Pipes and Cigars under agreement with Sutliff, some assembly required, batteries not included, void where prohibited, if you experience an erection lasting longer than four hours consult your doctor immediately, may cause inflammation, muscle soreness, death or a craving for Boy George songs, brought to you by our sponsor, Geritol, in Dolby stereo!

Okay, I think I’m done ranting now. As you might have guessed, the naming rights madness gets me a bit riled up, lol. ?
Damn that was funny! +100

Status
Not open for further replies.