PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Since joining here, I've increased my collection of tobaccos. I currently keep all my bulk tobaccos in mason jars, and keep the smaller batchs in the tins they come in.
Going through some boxes, I found a bunch of mason jars and was thinking about transfering the tinned blends into them. Will this be better for them, or will it not make a difference?
Thanks

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It depends on how quickly you go through a tin. If you go through a tin slowly, or if you like to have a lot of tins open at once, it might make more sense to use the jars. Personally I can go through a tin quickly enough (less than 2 weeks) that I don't need to put anything in jars.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I'm the same as Bigvan. If You use it quick then the tins work out fine.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Not sure how big the jars are you are thinking of using. But, would there be more air in the jar than in a part used tin? I've never had a problem with open tins.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Great link from EA Carey, and the previous advice holds true--if you can't finish a tin before it dries overmuch, jar it. I've gotten comfortable with my consumption habits enough to keep the most-often smoked quantities in bail-top jars for ease of retrieval, lesser-smoked and aging blends in screw-top mason jars. To note, the screw-top type "shoe polish" tins will hold a seal much longer than the plastic-lidded variety.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
From the link posted and what everyones posted, I think I'll leaqve the tins as is. I do have a couple blends I only smoke 3-4 times a month, so I'll put those in the mason jars.

careys

Lurker
Nov 16, 2011
North Canton, OH
Here's the info from EA Carey:
When choosing the perfect storage container, consider how long you want to store the tobacco
-For the short term, tobacco pouches come in many different sizes and materials. The most popular ones are pocket-size leather, cloth and plastic with rubber or plastic linings. Tobacco pouches are to be used for a day or so and then refilled. Tobacco stored in a pouch will get broken up throughout the course of the day, so adding more tobacco will let you smoke all the tobacco. Tobacco pouches are only to be used as temporary storage vessels.
-For a few months, use pipe tobacco humidors that include a humidifier to maintain moisture. They are normally 4, 8 or 16 ounces in size and can be made of wood, metal, glass or ceramic, with cork or non-absorbent material inside. Pipe tobacco humidors can store tobacco for months-but again, they must be kept out of the sun and heat.
-For the long term, unopened metal tins and sealed resealable plastic bags seem to last the longest. If you are using ziploc bags, squeeze all the air out before storing. The storage location is the most important element in long term storage; remember to keep the location cool, dark, dry and constant. English and natural-type tobaccos seem to change for the better over time, whereas aromatic tobacco don't fare well to time as they change for the worse. But all tobacco, kept under the above conditions, can remain constant for at least a year.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
From the day I get it, tobacco goes in a jar with a Avery 5160 label on it. Now, I have over 200 baccy's in my lair so I may not smoke one for up to a year. I just find stuff when rooting around and a tin or bag would not cut it for me, IMHO.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I went through a smoke 25 different blends a month phase. I had Mason jars with 1oz or less in it that was still as fresh as the day I bought it 9mths later I say jars are the right way.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I jar everything that I open. I'm not a heavy smoker and like to keep a lot of tobaccos on the go, so I feel the need to jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.