PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Not sure if this is the correct place for this inquiry, so Admin please help if I've erred. Thanks!

Is it okay to ship pipe tobacco from Canada to the US between two friends (not from a licensed retailer)? If so, should something particular be written on the customs form?

Thanks for any tips,
mike

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe, if memory serves, Kevin admonished us for provinding suggestions for evading or circumventing laws. Sometime last year? Marking a customs declaration as something other than what it is is most certainly an illegal act in most every country on earth. To do so is fraud and actionable by the authorities as I understand such.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I would assume that it would come through fine given that a lot of forum members order from overseas without issues. You would need to check whether Canada post (or whoever you use)has a restriction against carrying tobacco - which I doubt they would - and then look up if duties are payable on the importing of tobacco into the US.

In New Zealand, it was irrelevant whether it came as a gift or was a commercial purchase, as tobacco was charged duty either way.

Edit...why the heck are you trying to get tobacco OUT of Canada?!? Lol. Doesn’t that break the pipe smokers close up there.

• Haha
Reactions: Casual
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe, if memory serves, Kevin admonished us for provinding suggestions for evading or circumventing laws. Sometime last year? Marking a customs declaration as something other than what it is is most certainly an illegal act in most every country on earth. To do so is fraud and actionable by the authorities as I understand such.

I didn't suggest anything. I simply shared what I would do. Relax Warren, I'm not the head of a drug cartel.

Status
Not open for further replies.