PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
My existing stock of Savinelli Doblone d’Oro is about depleted. I need to decide whether to replace it. That would have been a no-brainer, but there is apparently a clear consensus that the blend has been changed.

In doing my homework before creating a new thread, I was not able to pin down a similarly strong consensus on the consequences of the alterations. The verdict of @Chasing Embers is categorical and negative. The vibe from @sablebrush52 is ambivalence, or maybe exasperated resignation. Our Sultan of Smoke, @JimInks has edited his review in what seems like a downgrade, but has left the fourth star in place.

So, is the newer Doblone d’Oro still in possession of enough of its former glory, or at a minimum enough unique goodness, to re-stock?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Depends on what year you are used to. If you've been smoking it from the past couple of years, no big deal. If your stash was around 8 years old, you're in for a shock.

Reactions: JimInks

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
Definitely different than the original blend (which is next to impossible to acquire) BUT if you like Virginia/DFK blends, it's good n tasty, and the coins are well cut.
It’s changed yes, for the worse…………that depends on your tastebuds.
I take it the perique really has been decreased, then. Dang. I like DFK, but it has taken over the pipe tobacco world. It is the closest I have seen to the realization of the perennially reissued prophecy that “the South is going to rise again.” Oddly enough, the South’s rise looks to be emanating mostly from Africa.

In blends with perique, I like the DFK to be absent or only a bit player. Too much subdues the whole ensemble. As a result, I guess it might be best if I forego replenishing my Doblone.

All of this leads to another question: If Doblone d’Oro was the closest thing to VaPer Three Nuns, what is the closest thing to VaPer Doblone?

Reactions: JimInks

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I take it the perique really has been decreased, then. Dang. I like DFK, but it has taken over the pipe tobacco world. It is the closest I have seen to the realization of the perennially reissued prophecy that “the South is going to rise again.” Oddly enough, the South’s rise looks to be emanating mostly from Africa.

In blends with perique, I like the DFK to be absent or only a bit player. Too much subdues the whole ensemble. As a result, I guess it might be best if I forego replenishing my Doblone.

All of this leads to another question: If Doblone d’Oro was the closest thing to VaPer Three Nuns, what is the closest thing to VaPer Doblone?
Old old Three Nuns contained Virgina's that included some Brazilian ones with plenty of spicy perique and if I was to guess it would have made up about 20%, maybe a smidge more. What is missing now is the topping that Three Nuns had which was Anise and Rum, mild but it was there. It was very prune flavour heavy, sweet and spicy, a full rich flavour and mouth feel.

Now I'll probably get shot down in flames here for saying this but the closest I can find with some caveats is Peter Heinrich's Curly Special. The caveats are as follows:
1. You have to age it and 5 years minimum is my recommendation
2. It doesn't have this 👉 "What is missing now is the topping that Three Nuns had which was Anise and Rum, mild but it was there".
3. Less perique (which one can remedy)

I have pounds of Heinrich's cellaring. Its very good quality tobacco but it is also very youthful so time is your friend and if you sprinkle in some granulated perique carefully you can get a reasonable but not perfect facsimile of what has been lost to the annuls of time.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve enjoyed it in the past. Haven’t smoked it for a few years though. Lots of folks will state that the blend doesn’t compare to years past. IMHO I’d simply buy a tin and start smoking it. Then you can decide if you need to stockpile or move on. ☕

Reactions: buroak

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My existing stock of Savinelli Doblone d’Oro is about depleted. I need to decide whether to replace it. That would have been a no-brainer, but there is apparently a clear consensus that the blend has been changed.

In doing my homework before creating a new thread, I was not able to pin down a similarly strong consensus on the consequences of the alterations. The verdict of @Chasing Embers is categorical and negative. The vibe from @sablebrush52 is ambivalence, or maybe exasperated resignation. Our Sultan of Smoke, @JimInks has edited his review in what seems like a downgrade, but has left the fourth star in place.

So, is the newer Doblone d’Oro still in possession of enough of its former glory, or at a minimum enough unique goodness, to re-stock?
I left it at four stars because both versions are four star blends in my opinion even though they differ greatly. The version of the last few years greatly cut down on the perique because DFK is vastly cheaper. According to Mark Ryan, DFK costs ten percent of what perique costs.

Nothing. Not even Peter Heinrich's Special Curly. Not Director's Cut either. Paul Olsen had a clone that was half way close (similar casings, but a lot less perique). I have no idea if it is still in production.

Old old Three Nuns contained Virgina's that included some Brazilian ones with plenty of spicy perique and if I was to guess it would have made up about 20%, maybe a smidge more. What is missing now is the topping that Three Nuns had which was Anise and Rum, mild but it was there. It was very prune flavour heavy, sweet and spicy, a full rich flavour and mouth feel.

Now I'll probably get shot down in flames here for saying this but the closest I can find with some caveats is Peter Heinrich's Curly Special. The caveats are as follows:
1. You have to age it and 5 years minimum is my recommendation
2. It doesn't have this 👉 "What is missing now is the topping that Three Nuns had which was Anise and Rum, mild but it was there".
3. Less perique (which one can remedy)

I have pounds of Heinrich's cellaring. Its very good quality tobacco but it is also very youthful so time is your friend and if you sprinkle in some granulated perique carefully you can get a reasonable but not perfect facsimile of what has been lost to the annuls of time.
You do have to age it, but as I previously wrote, it's not like the old Three Nuns to me.

Three Nuns had 18% perique, which was a reduction from the pre-1971 versions. They invented a casing to cover up the reduction, which is why you notice the prune so much. In the case of the new Doblone d'Oro, the casings are less obvious because of the DFK.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is one of those things where to really learn you have to your money on the table and learn what your taste buds like. You can always order one tin and try it. Then make your mind up.