Interesting Day for My Birthday Present to Arrive (Sav 313)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My wife ordered this Savinelli 313 Prince (of Wales) about a week ago, and it showed up on our doorstep a couple hours after learning of the passing of Queen Elizabeth the Second:

sav_313.jpg

My early pipe-smoking history was about buying pipes without much thought as to bowl shapes and stem configuration. But I've come to prefer medium-sized bowls that are not too tall, and stems that are not perfectly straight but still pass a pipe cleaner easily. I've found myself drawn to the Prince shape, especially the Savinelli interpretations with the slightly upturned shank that doesn't cant the bowl forward. I haven't smoked a bowl in this one yet, but I could see it becoming a new favorite!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
My wife ordered this Savinelli 313 Prince (of Wales) about a week ago, and it showed up on our doorstep a couple hours after learning of the passing of Queen Elizabeth the Second:

View attachment 167921

My early pipe-smoking history was about buying pipes without much thought as to bowl shapes and stem configuration. But I've come to prefer medium-sized bowls that are not too tall, and stems that are not perfectly straight but still pass a pipe cleaner easily. I've found myself drawn to the Prince shape, especially the Savinelli interpretations with the slightly upturned shank that doesn't cant the bowl forward. I haven't smoked a bowl in this one yet, but I could see it becoming a new favorite!
That’s a beauty!

• Love
Reactions: ThermionicScott
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Always loved prince shape. Too small a chamber for my taste, so I gave my Peterson 406 to my son. But definitely a nice shape.

One could say that I'm still trying to get the hang of bigger bowls! Generally, by the last 1/3 of a deep bowl, I'm either dealing with a bunch of ash ruining the flavor or making it tough to relight, moisture buildup, or if all has actually gone well, I'm woozy from too much nicotine. :LOL: Bowls about 1" deep (or only packing a deeper pipe about 1" full) tend to be easier for me to manage, and are plenty satisfying.

But I haven't thrown out those pipes with deeper bowls; I intend to keep learning and practicing so that I can make their full capacity work for me. 👍

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
One could say that I'm still trying to get the hang of bigger bowls! Generally, by the last 1/3 of a deep bowl, I'm either dealing with a bunch of ash ruining the flavor or making it tough to relight, moisture buildup, or if all has actually gone well, I'm woozy from too much nicotine. :LOL: Bowls about 1" deep (or only packing a deeper pipe about 1" full) tend to be easier for me to manage, and are plenty satisfying.

But I haven't thrown out those pipes with deeper bowls; I intend to keep learning and practicing so that I can make their full capacity work for me. 👍
You could dump the ashes and run pipe cleaner to get rid of the moisture. I usually dump the ashes around bottom third of the bowl and take pipe apart and clean out the moisture. If lucky, ember's still going. If not, relight. The pipe taste refreshed and it's much more enjoyable.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
You could dump the ashes and run pipe cleaner to get rid of the moisture. I usually dump the ashes around bottom third of the bowl and take pipe apart and clean out the moisture. If lucky, ember's still going. If not, relight. The pipe taste refreshed and it's much more enjoyable.
Yeah, my technique at just dumping out ashes (as opposed to the remaining bowl) has been improving after I read jcm's advice to just loosen the ash very gently with the pipe tool and tip the pipe sideways to let it fall out. 👍

Most of my deep bowls are on bent pipes that don't pass a pipe-cleaner very well, and I had read not to take the stem off a warm pipe. Until I get my cadence under full control, I'll be practicing the codger cover-the-bowl-with-your-thumb-and-fling-out-the moisture technique I also read about here. :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not saying you should do it, but I take my stem off while smoking all the time. I'm one of those who doesn't believe taking stem off while hot will break the mortise/shank. And none broke so far. Chances are those who broke the pipe twisted the stem rather violently side to side instead of along the axis. Army mount and spigot pipes are designed to take the stem out while smoking.