PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't often watch or search for Charatan pipes, but this one caught my eye (only watched). I thought that I had never encountered this shape before, and from the bidding, it seems that the Charatan fans were enthusiastically persuing the pipe. It looks a bit like the Peterson Sportsman line or a Castello #10, etc. The stem looks to be original.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Estate-Pipe-Charatans-Make-London-England-Supreme-FH-/272196087884?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=NMWvBlC7LPw4eMhnchcpV3qlXoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
s-l1600.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Yeah, that's a new C shape for me too. They should have made more of those. Very cool. Bidding was high but a very unique shape.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
I have been collecting Charatan's for a while. This got to high priced to fast for me.
Walter

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Looking at the stamping on the shank, it looks like a 1950s Charatan. It is the ealiest 'Herman Lane/Reuben Charatan' that I have ever seen.Yes Al, the mouthpiece looks original, and very possibly hand cut and retains the classic English 'short'proportions in the length. At that time, it was the highest quality that Reuben produced. This pipe,I think, was exported to the U.S. years before the "big is beautiful" demand that Lane put on Charatans.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This pipe,I think, was exported to the U.S. years before the "big is beautiful" demand that Lane put on Charatans.
Thanks Ken. Of all the classic British marques, Charatan is one I don't collect because most are simply too large for my use. I was hoping this one was going to fly under the radar, nope!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's an awesome pipe! Plus you got a sweet deal!! Rarely is one able to match a Stellar Price to a Stellar Pipe ;)

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
"Charatan is one I don't collect because most are simply too large for my use"
I have a very rare and fairly small Charatan 1920-1930 lovat (Dunhill group 3) it is a Charatan 'Extra'which I will be putting on ebay. According to Tad they are extremely rare and cost £8.00 in 1920 and £12 in 1930. At the time a farm worker would earn £1.50 per week so at £8 he would have had to work for nearly six weeks! This pipe does have a nice vertical grain. I will post some pics soon. Just the right size for you and you never know, it may just slip under the radar!

Status
Not open for further replies.