PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I'm trying to figure out whats the best way to get into pipe making with basic tools and supply's. I have an pre drilled briar block I bought a couple months back. I'd like to see if this is something that I would be interested in getting into before spending to much money. I've read a couple things online about it but I'de like to hear from you guys based on most of the pipes look great you guys post!

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I'd buy Pimo's Guide to Pipemaking. It's fairly inexpensive (unless you go with Amazon) and is quite handy. I'm going to use it to embark upon my own pipe-making adventure soon.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Welcome to the forum domd.

Pimo's Guide to Pipe Crafting at Home has been a great beginners resource for me.

Pimo's site www.pimopipecraft.com is also a great source for pipe making tools and pipe stems. Good luck and have fun !!

dubinthedam

Lurker
May 18, 2009
Amsterdam
My advice would be stick to good quality predrilled blocks. It's no easy thing to become a good pipemaker, I just wish some of the newer makers would take note.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Like Uncleauthur said this is the place to learn about it-as much as can be from reading anyway- http://www.pipemakersforum.com/
They are quite willing to answer questions and offer suggestions.

I make them as a hobby,not many( 6 I believe)Two from predrilled blocks the rest from other woods.Some are actually smokeable! I do most of my work with a coping saw,files,rasps and sandpaper. I have a small lathe but need more tooling etc before it can be used in pipe making. Wanna get a bandsaw,combo belt/disk sander and other stuff when my pocket book allows.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i have made many pipes with many different pre drilled blocks. pimo has very good ones but they all work and smoke great. i use a cheap disk sander and a dremmel. if you want some help pm me and i will give you my number. i think the hardest part is doing the finish work. dave

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Well, first you're going to want to mortgage your home and / or liquidate all your savings and investments--kiss the kids' college funds goodbye! That's ok though, because by not sending them to college you'll have your first employees.

Next you'll have to start buying a ludicrous number of pipes--every size, shape, make, finish and year available. This is necessary to become well-versed in all possible characteristics and combinations that you will want to create in your own pipes. You will also need to buy great heaping mounds of tobacco to smoke in said pipes, as well as stands, cabinets, cleaners, tampers, lighters, matches, and the like.

Once you feel yourself grounded in the background purchases, it's time to invest in the heavy machinery. Saws, routers, lathes, sanders, dust collectors, rotary tools, hand tools, laser-guided CNC machines, sandblasting booths, sandpapers, dyes, waxes, shellacs, chemistry sets, lighting, magnifying glasses, and a dust mask are your basics. To make it simple just tear a page at random from a woodworking supply catalog and order everything on it. Repeat this every day or week until the catalog is gone and you'll have a good start.

Next comes the heart of the material--the briar. To give yourself a real leg up on the competition you could purchase a few acres in Greece or Italy near a quaint coastal town and harvest your own briar. Or, if you're not ready for that much travel then I'd suggest purchasing 2 full 20 foot shipping containers of briar; one of standard quality and one of the highest quality. You'll then need to store and age them in your workshop (did I forget to mention building a workshop?). The beauty of this method is that as you begin your practice pipes on the standard quality briars, your high-quality briars will be able to age for a dozen years or so while you get the hang of it!

Finally, after many years of toil, grey hair, and likely a divorce or three, you'll have created your first masterwork--a pipe the likes of which the world has never seen, a sculpture to rival that of Michelangelo or Rodin. Acquiescing to sell it, you discover you'll need to hire a PR firm in addition to running the pipe show circuit as well as some payola to pipe world luminaries like Kevin of pipesmagazine.com simply to get your name out there. At this point your pipes will surely warrant princely sums, and they'll need to in order to begin recouping your investments. Unfortunately, by this time (I'm estimating around the year 2025) tobacco consumption in any form has been made illegal under World Government directive #3765467.77b; fortunately they have not yet been able to ban pipes, but the only ones who smoke tobacco are forced to live in the lawless outskirts of major port cities like Wichita and Munich (after the global warming floods transformed these into seaside resort towns).

Eventually you'll pass on to the afterlife of your choosing, and glow with satisfaction every time one of your little gems garners a price tenfold of its production cost on eBay, which you were never able to realize while making them.
:lol: :roll: :crazy:
Or you could just make them for fun, and hey, you never know--you could be a complete natural at it!

My (hopefully amusing) take on it is from personal experience, only *slightly* satirized. Of course I tend to be an extremist in most things, but mainly it's a word of caution against thinking about doing it professionally; as a hobby it's great, and you'll get out of it everything you put into it in terms of a pleasurable pastime, learning new skills, and the satisfaction of smoking a pipe of your own make. Looking at it as a business venture often proves to be a rabbit hole of epic proportions, as can be said of many of my hare-brained schemes. :oops:
If you do end up making some, you are required to post lots of pics on the forums, and if they're really good (stern glance at buckeye) you are of course obligated to sell to members of the forum at substantial discount.
Good luck!

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
its just a block of wood. not rocket science. go for it. just to make a pipe you do not need all the stuff the pro`s have unless your going to do it for a living.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
Unless you can woodwork well, it's best to consider pipe making as part of your hobby. It's fun to look upon and use your own pipe now and then. Let's you appreciate the craftsman ship of much nicer pipes. I've made 3 so far.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a lot of fun playing with briar. To go pro is expensive but not prohibitive . The competition though is as has been stated fierce for high end pipes. I just have fun and if I sell a few then I have picked up cash for more materials to have fun with.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I often go to the pipemakers forum and look at the gallery. Some very nice work being displayed there!

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
You just get a piece of briar and remove everything that doesn't look like a pipe... right? :puffy:

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
that reminds me.... I've got a piece of old dried driftwood. I have no idea what kind of wood it is. It's been sitting in my home office for about 20 years. It's gnawing at me to make it into a pipe. I don't see any cracks in the area I'm wanting to work on.... Might just have to start cutting and see how it develops.

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
This might be a stupid question but do you need to wear a mask while working and sanding briar wood?

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
I would start of refinishing/customizing/modding first. Grab some cheap pipes off of ebay and play with them. Lots of different techniques to rusticate and stain. Dremel, Nails, holesaws,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.