PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
048.jpg

I've noticed that when I do a regular post smoke swab of the moisture trap and smoke hole of my Peterson System pipes small burrs left over from the drilling seem to always pick up a bit of lint or fuzz from the pipe cleaner or cotton swab. I know this is not a big deal but little things like this bother me. While my Pete's are finished nicely on the outside they are factory pipes after all and I wouldn't expect them to be polished to the extreme on the inside.

051.jpg

The other day this fuzz problem got the better of me and I headed out to my workbench to find a solution. In my sandpaper collection I keep several grades with double sided tape laminated to the back of the paper so I can attach it to sanding blocks or dowels depending on the sanding task at hand.

050.jpg

I cut a small piece of 220 grit just big enough to wrap securely around the handle end of a chainsaw file. The diameter of the steel rod along with the sandpaper fits just right into the smoke hole. A quick spin and a couple swipes around the moisture reservoir was all it took to smooth out the rough edges and my cleaners come out dirty but leaving no fuzz behind.

049.jpg

I now do this simple procedure when I first get a new System pipe and I have gone back and hit my older ones. I know it may be a non-issue to most but I'm particular about some things. Heck I still fold my T-shirts into perfect squares like I was taught in basic training over 20 years ago.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Great idea!!Granted it doesn't really bother me so much but I have a Grabow that gets the fuzz also,so if u don't mind I'll try that on it.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Basic traing I had to make sure my soap was washed before I put it away. I understand and I am particular about stuff myself. I do not have pete but will soon. I will keep your method in mind. :idea:

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
That's a nice tweak, Mike. I can relate to touching things up a bit like that, why not on a favorite pipe or two.
Have you ever enlarged the bore on a Peterson to enhance the draw? I'm buying my first system pipe soon and wonder if the draw is affected by the system layout.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Lol shawn I forgot about making sure the soap was clean! Not a single whisker on that razor either.
@johnd I believe the draw on the Peterson's is mainly dictated by the airway in the stem. It starts out larger then narrows as it nears the P-lip. I recently got a couple Pete's with standard fishtail bits and they seem to have a more open draw compared to my other P-lip equipped pipes. I really like the standard fishtail Pete's so if you like an open draw maybe consider a fishtail stem. I like either one but it's worth the consideration for sure. I've not enlarged the smoke hole on a system but I don't think it would make much difference because of the stem but of course thats just my opinion.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
@johnd I believe the draw on the Peterson's is mainly dictated by the airway in the stem. It starts out larger then narrows as it nears the P-lip. I recently got a couple Pete's with standard fishtail bits and they seem to have a more open draw compared to my other P-lip equipped pipes. I really like the standard fishtail Pete's so if you like an open draw maybe consider a fishtail stem. I like either one but it's worth the consideration for sure. I've not enlarged the smoke hole on a system but I don't think it would make much difference because of the stem but of course thats just my opinion.
Thanks, Mike. This is why I enjoy coming here. I get to learn so much from others. The system Petes are new to me, so I appreciate the informed opinions of the Peterson smokers.

fyrefawkes

Lurker
Jun 18, 2012
Related to the Peterson System (I have a Standard 305, smooth) -- how should I polish the nickel fitting?

My Peterson was 'stored' for 11 years and I found it in really good condition but with the nickel fairly oxidized (slight oxidation on the vulcanite mouthpiece, but that polished away with only a microfiber lens cloth and gentle polishing).

For the nickel, I tried jewelry polish with a jewelry polishing cloth (a little coarser than the lens cloth) and was very careful not to let the polish touch the briar, but the polishing process was taking FOREVER and it's still not gleaming, though it is much improved (I eventually had other things to do).

What method would you guys recommend to really shine up the nickel? And how careful or concerned should I be/what steps should I take about protecting the finish on the briar?

Thanks, fellas.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi Fyrefawkes, I use a product called Simichrome Polish for metalwork. The stuff is amazing and works quickly on any metal surface. I got mine at the local hardware store. I pop the stem out and wrap some masking tape (painters tape) carefully around the shank to protect the wood. Takes about 20 seconds with the Simichrome to have it gleaming.
Welcome to the forum!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey Mike, great tip! I have all fishtail bits, the P-lip never fit my teeth just right and I lose grip. But that little thing about leaving fuzz behind is a 'Chap My Ass' issue with me.
I don't know what the Army and Navy call them (the Air Force doesn't have a clue :) ), but the little strings on your uniform and clothing.... you know, around button holes and the like.... Marines call them 'Irish Pennants' and are unacceptable, must be clipped off with fingernail clippers, every single one. Well when I was training recruits, I even had them clip their sea bags and the sheets on their rack! "I Hate Irish Pennants and little pieces of fuzz!" That's worse than "Dust Bunnies" under the rack!
No tools here at the lake other than a hammer and drivers, but soon as I go home I'll be modifying my Peterson's....

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I got busted once during inspection for having those little paper "inspected by" tags in the pockets of my dress blues hanging in my locker. I had 'em all cleaned out but some "mysteriously" reappeared and I had forgotten to check again before the inspection. :x Sure brings a smile to think back about that stuff!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I loved Yankin' out nose hairs when I could get hold of them, preferably 6 or 8 at a time... You never saw so many funny/surprised faces!

It didn't take long for them to catch on and all nose hairs were clipped too.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
@fryfawkes I use a little bit of toothpaste personally. Put it on, let it get just a little bit "tacky" then clean it off with a soft cloth (an old t-shirt works awesome).

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I remember "Irish Pennants" from HS NJROTC, I had a Marine Drill Instructor who used to give us Hell for those things. I think they teach all drill instructors to be OCD. Thanks TopD for bringing back good memories :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
This is a great tip.
Just last night I was cleaning the only system Pete I have and thinking the same thing: "Gosh, that's rough down there in that chamber."
I will be doing this tonight.
Thanks!

sailorsmoke

Lurker
Jun 27, 2012
Mediterranean Sea
inspected my Sailors this morning. In the Navy we refer to them as Irish Pennants as well. Botton holes are worst.
Now the dremel is out, and I'm inspecting my pipes : )

Status
Not open for further replies.