PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
This may be a dumb question but why not. I have a pipe I like. Its a pot style. I like the stem, I like the draw and look. The Bowl is not tapered, just rounded a bit at the bottom. It is 25mm wide meaning an inch. I have tried packing different but I still get too airy of a smoke with the pipe. I know they make meer lined bowls but Ive no way to do that.
I wont be buying more this wide but Id rather not sell it. Is there some way to line the bowl to make it more narrow?

Or do I need to pack even more dense?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I will give it another try. Im always hesitant to pack too tight but then again it may be a totally different thing with that degree of surface area. Maybe I will let this build a it of cake too. 1mm all around will help a little. Thanks

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@VDL_Piper Do you pack those a lot heavier than you would something around 20mm?

I guess I will just pack the hell out of it until I find out what is too much. I suppose it has a lot more space to find air.

I will try lighting just the center too. Thanks guys. I have my other pipes down pretty well but this is an oddball in the bunch. What you say makes sense becuase unlit tobacco is pretty tasty through the stem.

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
On my largest bowl I've found I can make a somewhat tight wad of tobacco to drop into the bottom and then pack normally from there. The wad will give some draw resistance and it will expand slightly once the ember reaches it. At that point a north south east west prod will loosen it up and allow the wad to breathe and smoke down. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Sigmund

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I like them wide, you get so much flavour out of the smoke, all my Castello's are 25mm/1" or greater. You don't need a huge ember, let it slowly work its way out to the wall of the pipe rather than try to light the whole surface.
Interesting. For me it’s the opposite. Anything over a 0.8 diameter seems to be less flavor than I get out of my smaller ones.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
@VDL_Piper Do you pack those a lot heavier than you would something around 20mm?

I guess I will just pack the hell out of it until I find out what is too much. I suppose it has a lot more space to find air.

I will try lighting just the center too. Thanks guys. I have my other pipes down pretty well but this is an oddball in the bunch. What you say makes sense becuase unlit tobacco is pretty tasty through the stem.
Not excessively but I am looking for that cushion bounce still in the last third of the pack. If it was ribbon cut tobacco for example it might appear unruly with strands trying to wriggle out, particularly on lighting. I should also add that I rub everything out, no fold and stuff for me.

• Love
Reactions: Sigmund and PaulRVA