PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joachimmoe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2012
Well I am actually not the biggest smoker on earth. I smoke one bowl a day, and it takes me 10-15 minutes.
I believe that everyone tried smoking. My dad in his younger years smoked 3 packs a day. Now that's what I call serious harm to your lungs. But I think, smoking a bowl a day and really being careful not inhaling, won't do that much harm.
I am really noxious about feeling addicted. I do not want to be addicted to it, and as soon as I feel that inner need for a bowl, I take a break for 3-4 days.

When this is said. Hakuna matata, enjoy your youth. If you don't enjoy the gifts of life, why live?

Jul 15, 2011
Heres what I would do: Grab yourself a tin of this tobacco, it's called "Irish Flake". Get a good ember going and take the biggest possible puff you can, then inhale and hold it in for as long as you can. Afterwards, you are going to find traces of blood in your nicotine stream :mrgreen:
I kid, I kid. You really shouldnt do that.
As others have said, I don't inhale. The advice to learn how to retrohale is good advice as it opens up a lot of flavors and aromas you wouldnt otherwise experience. Pipe smoking for most is about flavors and the experience more than the nicotine hit, but I do loves me a good high nicotine tobacco every now and then.

joachimmoe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2012
AN HOUR?! Holy, are you putting the pipe away, or something? The ambers will definitely burn out, if it takes you an hour.
Also, I don't keep the pipe in my mouth, I take it out every drag.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I'm usually disappointed when a smoke doesn't last an hour for one of my medium size pipes.

I have a couple of smaller pipes which only last about 45 minutes.
Here's another thread for you to read. How Long is a Bowl?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Joachim, if your bowl only lasts 10-15 minutes then it is either incredibly small or you are smoking incredibly fast.
I would wager that that is why your smoke tastes awful: you are smoking too fast, and as a result the smoke is harsh and acrid.
If you follow the links listed by Philip and the others, you should be on the right track to refining your pipe smoking technique.
Is your pipe warm or even hot to the touch? That is a telltale sign that you are "puffing like a freight train" as they say. Huge plumes of smoke are not measures of success in the pipe smoking world; it is mostly about chasing the flavour through small sips, and maintaining the small fire lit in your pipe without excessive interference.
As for inhaling smoke, it is wise to limit this as much as possible so as to preserve your lungs. Though some measure of inhalation is to be expected with a mouthful of smoke, intentional inhalation akin to cigarette smoking is a very unhealthy practise. The strong and rich smoke from a pipe wouldn't do your respiratory system any favours with any prolonged exposure...

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Some of us inhale, I smoke 5lbs of tobacco every 90 days and inhale I would say 95% of the time. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.