PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I got a predrilled briar kit recently. Today is the first time I smoked it but because of the way the mortise is drilled like a funnel, it tends to gurgle and generally not smoke as well as I think it should.
I'm wondering what method would be best to fix this?
My first thought was to use a wet tissue, stick it into the mortise firmly and then slowly remove to get the shape. I would then carve down an existing stem to make an insert that fits inside to smooth the airflow.

Then I thought, maybe I'm over-thinking this. Should I just cut down a filter and stick it in there?
What are the thoughts of the more experienced smokers/pipesmiths out there?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
If the shank hole isn't precisely done don't meet in the same line the tenon hole, and if between tenon and the end of the mortize the's a chamber due to an incorrect mortize drill (to deep) the's a chamber and the smoke condenses.In a bent kit that could happen more frequently than in a straight

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks for responding.
That is the problem. The kit came with the mortise drilled out in a funnel shape narrowing down to where it meets the bowl, so there is a air chamber no matter what stem I use. I suppose I should have been more clear in the original post.
Is there a fix? I tried fitting a piece cut off of a Dr. Grabow filter in the "chamber" ahead of the stem's tenon and that helped, but if there is a more permanent fix?
I guess I'm just looking for advice from those more experienced in the pipesmithing arts than myself in dealing with this problem.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Try to put a tube stinger like dunhill into the tenon till the chamber bore or better enlarge the mortize hole to fit a new stem with tenon filter for 6mm or 9mm filters. At that point guess only a filter like the balsa by Savinelly could help you

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I think the modified Grabow filter is going to work for this pipe. I might do something else later depending on how much maintenence this system ends up being. Thanks for the help!
My next pipe won't be pre-drilled, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.