PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
I have a brand new IM Corona Old Boy which sparks but won’t light. The lighter worked for about a week and now it won’t light at all. I’ve tried bleeding and refilling a number of times and no dice. I’ve also tried bleeding with the cap open and refilling with cap open at the beginning and then closing the cap. I’m using Xikar fuel and starting with the flame on the lowest setting. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Are you filling it while holding the lighter upside down ?

Sometimes mine can be finicky, as in pressure used vs the angle of the valve stem etc. Sometimes no gas goes in untill I hold everything just right.

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
Are you filling it while holding the lighter upside down ?

Sometimes mine can be finicky, as in pressure used vs the angle of the valve stem etc. Sometimes no gas goes in untill I hold everything just right.
I am and definitely seems fuel is going in, as fuel comes out when I bleed it.

Ronon

Lurker
Dec 18, 2021
Do you have enough tension on your flint? When my flint gets worn, it'll still spark, but not ignite even though the lighter is full. The setting for your flint in the back might've taken a turn or two counterclockwise in the week's time. Give it a slight turn clockwise to add a little tension and see if that gets things lighting up.
It’s fully tightened

Reactions: BROBS
Jun 25, 2021
England
Have you tried using a different fuel ?
I don't think Xikar is what it's cracked up to be.
Colibri or Newport are the only butanes that I would put in my old boy.
I haven't cleaned it since I started using them months ago, there's nothing there's to clean. I can only see shining chrome, even under a magnifying glass.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Try this as a last resort, put lighter in refergrator, for about 10 min, heat butane can under hot water, get it warm. Then fill 3 times counting to 10 each time, if that don’t work send it back.

Reactions: BROBS