PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I recently bought an IM Corona Old Boy "Sillem's" edition lighter. Looks like this one pictured, but the components (particularly noticeable in the screw for the flint compartment) are different from the picture. The picture below shows the screw as it is on my standard Old Boy, which is smaller and of a different design than the one I have now.

Everything is more robust. Even the caps and screws on the bottom of the lighter are bigger, with more heft. The spring mechanism and arm on the top are more beefed up and solid. Generally, everything is just bigger and more solid. I have another, standard Old Boy, and side by side, the difference is very much noticeable.

I don't think it is just down to it being silver plated, if the mechanism even is.

It works great. I'm just wondering if IM Corona has a different line of mechanism in production for this series. I wasn't expecting the mechanics to be any different. It's a nice surprise, but I think that maybe something has changed. Maybe these are older stock mechanisms? The quality of the mechanics appears to be much improved on this Sillem's edition. It opens with a different feeling, closes with a different feeling, and is just... well, solid.

I couldn't find anything online about this. They don't mention it at all, from the little information that is out there.

It would be nice if they made all of their lighters with this type of heft to the mechanics. It looks and feels like a much more solid lighter compared to the regular line.

001-068-0090.jpg

Reactions: philobeddoe

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently bought an IM Corona Old Boy "Sillem's" edition lighter. Looks like this one pictured, but the components (particularly noticeable in the screw for the flint compartment) are different from the picture. The picture below shows the screw as it is on my standard Old Boy, which is smaller and of a different design than the one I have now.

Everything is more robust. Even the caps and screws on the bottom of the lighter are bigger, with more heft. The spring mechanism and arm on the top are more beefed up and solid. Generally, everything is just bigger and more solid. I have another, standard Old Boy, and side by side, the difference is very much noticeable.

I don't think it is just down to it being silver plated, if the mechanism even is.

It works great. I'm just wondering if IM Corona has a different line of mechanism in production for this series. I wasn't expecting the mechanics to be any different. It's a nice surprise, but I think that maybe something has changed. Maybe these are older stock mechanisms? The quality of the mechanics appears to be much improved on this Sillem's edition. It opens with a different feeling, closes with a different feeling, and is just... well, solid.

I couldn't find anything online about this. They don't mention it at all, from the little information that is out there.

It would be nice if they made all of their lighters with this type of heft to the mechanics. It looks and feels like a much more solid lighter compared to the regular line.

View attachment 43390
It just a product update. All of their models boast more sturdy components now.

001-068-0041.jpg

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England

View attachment 43390
Beautiful looking lighter, I have a blood red one. They're certainly sturdy and well made, they have a nice weighty feel in the hand as well.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
It just a product update
There it is! I have one of the older styles, and now this one. It's subtle, if you don't have both side by side, but the impact seems to be pretty good so far. I'm not complaining about the older style. It worked. But the new heft to the arm feels like it is less prone to leaking gas with a shift in your pocket. The older style seemed less secure to me.

Good on them for making a change for the better.

I have a blood red one.

I was eyeballing that same colour. It was a tossup between that and blue for me. I eventually went for blue, I'm ashamed to admit, because I spend a lot of time on the water and it somehow went in that direction. Odd way to choose, I suppose, but it somehow felt right. Those red ones sure do look nice though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There it is! I have one of the older styles, and now this one. It's subtle, if you don't have both side by side, but the impact seems to be pretty good so far. I'm not complaining about the older style. It worked. But the new heft to the arm feels like it is less prone to leaking gas with a shift in your pocket. The older style seemed less secure to me.

I was eyeballing that same colour. It was a tossup between that and blue for me. I eventually went for blue, I'm ashamed to admit, because I spend a lot of time on the water and it somehow went in that direction. Odd way to choose, I suppose, but it somehow felt right. Those red ones sure do look nice though.
I'm thinking of ordering a rebuild kit to update my existing Old Boy.

Jun 9, 2018
England

To be honest I think they all look cool. The one I wanted I couldn't get, it was called caramel.

41vqNAQ5QoL._AC_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The ones with the thinner flint screws are newer, & the fatter ones are older. Personally I would want to swap out that specific part, if I had a newer one.

Reactions: jttnk

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
The ones with the thinner flint screws are newer
The one I have comes with a larger flint screw. It is brand new to me from a retailer. My previous one has a thin flint screw. It is 4-5 years old. I think you may have it backwards. It looks like everything got thicker and more sturdy to me. Not less so.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The one I have comes with a larger flint screw. It is brand new to me from a retailer. My previous one has a thin flint screw. It is 4-5 years old. I think you may have it backwards. It looks like everything got thicker and more sturdy to me. Not less so.

They might spec them differently depending on the finish, & there probably have been a number of different variations with that screw. Looking now & I see new ones with both styles available. I see older ones with the thinner style, but I feel like I was used to seeing the bigger ones years ago & then definitely noticing a change to smaller ones when reading a press release within the past couple of years about the newest IMC Old Boys. They were talking about combating counterfeits & loss of brand recognition. Those newest Old Boys had "IM Corona" stamped across the front. I guess that idea didn't take off because I don't see any of those for sale now.

Status
Not open for further replies.