PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Apparently it's not just the Haddos. I received a tin of GLP Piccadilly this morning that was also breached.
SPC has a replacement in route. Seems this is a problem with the newer tins made in March of this year. At least the bad tins I received were from this batch.
If you have any from this period, better check them.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I hear ya, Cosmic.
I can definitely say the folks at SPC have went above and beyond to fix the issue. Replacements sent every time.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
So then I'm not a finicky schmuck for once again requesting a replacement for my second unsealed tin?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
So it seems even the tins that are sealed now, but were made between Feb/Mar 2018, are more susceptible to easy seal failure. I would think these would need to be watched closely in 6-12 months when tins are supposed to start bulging, so that weak seal doesn't become compromised.
Or is this an issue of whoever is applying the seals is doing so incorrectly? Mine popped right under the tab, and it happened either before it left the facility or in transit. The plastic lid would have had to been removed to see it.

Jun 27, 2016
lightmybriar
So then I'm not a finicky schmuck for once again requesting a replacement for my second unsealed tin?
No, if they are showing up open. Ask them what all of your options are.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
A 2oz GLP tin I just received (tinned in Feb 2018) has some play in the lid. If I lightly push down on the lid, it goes deep, sort of like a loose fitting drum head. I think the seal is good, but fragile. It doesn't appear to be compromised. But I do think the tin's lid could pop once any swelling happens. I checked this 2018 GLP tin against a 2017 GLP tin and they are indeed different. The 2018 tin is slightly taller and the metal has a different sheen. The roll at the top of the tin is much thinner on the 2018, too.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Some tins just smell. I just got a bunch of Dunhill tins (all dating to 2013) and when I opened the box it had a rich smell of tobacco. They are screw lids and all still have the vacuum seal. A good trick to do is to shake the tin and listen. If it rattles then the tobacco dried out. If it is quiet (or makes a dull thud in the case of plugs or some Flakes) then you are good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.