PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
At least for awhile. I have this tasting test for Peterson's tobaccos coming up on the other forum, Kind of a tobacco of the month thing you see. Thinking I'd get a head start on things, I ordered 1 each of everything Petrson's currently produces so I'd have them readily available.

As I dedicate my pipes, I decided I needed a few cobs, espacially for their aromatics. I ordered two Country Gentlemen, a nice sized grp 4/5 capacity bowl. Now, here comes the idiotcy (is that really a word?). I ordered two General MacArthur's. I've always thought Gen. MacArthur looked "cool" wading ashore with that pipe. Now, how in the devil do you relight a bowl when the tobacco is as far down as that oil leak in the gulf?

What does one use for a tamper/pick?

Will John leave Martha?

Will Spot ever run?
I told ya I lost it.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
First, I really liked Peterson's 2009 Christmas and Special Reserve very much and the 2010 Special Reserve very good itself. Chuck you know where to get the Summertime blend?
Second, my guess would be a torch lighter to hit the bottom of the bowl but I believe cobs are Phil's specialty so he should know.
Third, speaking of cobs anyone know where to get a wooden stem cob or is this one I have to make?

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
First world problems...haha.
I'm interested to hear about university flake and sweet kilarney, both of their descriptions sound sweet light and tasty.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Mac, Summertime hasn't been released yet. According to Cup-O-Joe, look for it later this year.
Jay, I have yet to try Sweet Killarney but UF is a staple here. Upon first opening the tin, I get a grassy/hay aroma mixed with Currents/raisens and maybe raspberries. It needs a little drying out of the tin or it will be harsh when first lighting. Then burlys give it a slightly citrus taste that is not objectionable. Sip it slowly and you willm morem than likely find it a delight.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Chuck:
Maybe you need some of those long fire place matches.
The regular "General" cob is deep enough. I can't imagine what the MacCarthur is like. It looks to be twice as deep. General Doug probably used a flame thrower.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
LOL @ Chuck!
Have fun smoking and reviewing all of those tobaccos.
Sorry, but I have no suggestions for re-lighting those enormously large MacArthur cobs.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Being a DIY Guy, my suggestion for relights is to just let the match drop into

the bowl, so as not to toast your fingers. As for digging the dottle out of one

of those big Cobs, a flat bladed screwdriver should work if you can't find the

truck's tire iron. My question is, do you plan on clenching this Cob?

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Yes Fred. I clench it. I rigged a bungie cord from my baseball cap, looped it around the stem so it hangs right in front of my face. It is kinda tough to catch when I'm walking though.

Seriously though, I did get the tobacco to burn all the way down with just one re-light. I turned the flame up on my Old Boy and it worked. Now there's a picture for ya. A $12 pipe and a $100 lighter.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Inspired to pick up some University Flake. If I like it it'll get it's own luciano.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well when I placed my baccy order this morning , thought I would follow along with the reviews .Tin Sampler -"Peterson" petsam 1 54.60Pipe Tobacco .you get seven tins from P@C .

briarcub73

Lurker
May 11, 2010
Howdy there Chuck!
Much as I love my Old Boys, getting to the bottom of a tall bowl (like that bottomless Ardor cobra, LOL!) seems to be problematic for me using one of those. I'm glad you got it to work, though :) The barbecue/candle lighter option isn't a bad one, as are the fireplace matches. I also like to use a Colibri clip lighter or a Xikar Scribe :)
Enjoy those big MacArthurs!
Tom

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Hey there guys,
It's my birthday today and finally the day has come that I get my Stanwells HCA #6. It's been a long wait. It's given me time to think about the fact that this pipe does have a smaller diameter but deep bowl. Any tips on packing or smoking that will give me a better chance to get to the bottom of the bowl are appreciated.
Simon

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Propane torch used for welding works great.You will never need to worry about another lite again.

Status
Not open for further replies.