PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
885e47f0.jpg

I inherited this pipe from a friend who's father passed away. It says Balsa System on one side and Alpha on the other. I'm assuming it's a Salvinelli but I really don't know. Can someone help me know for sure what it is and maybe the going rate for one. I'm not gonna sell it. It smokes great. Just wondering the value on it.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Alpha's are an Israeli manufacturer. I've not smoked one, but they have a dedicated core of followers.
I'm guessing its the Alpha, since a Sav is usually marked with a shape number and a KS stamp or S in shield stamp on the shank and the Sav "shooting star" on the stem.
I suppose if pressed for a value I'd say $30-75 on the secondary market. You might try Ebay and look and see if any Alphas have sold there.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Alpha certainly sounds like the Israeli pipe.....but Balsa System sounds like Savinelli, so I have to admit that I am confused.... :?

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I know this will sound corny, but any inherited pipe is priceless.
Also the thing is very handsome.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
I definitely appreciate everyones comments. Helps me know a little more about the pipe. Like I said though I don't plan on getting rid of it. It smokes great. I really enjoy the pipe. I was just wondering if my friends father had an investment in it or just picked up a cheapo at the local smoke shop.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Have one of the Salvinelli pipes that looks similar to your picture which I bought new and paid around $65.

Pipe is a nice smoker..... think I'll go light it up right now with a bowl of Classic Virginia.

Enjoy your new pipe !!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Sav also markets a "dry system" series of pipes that look an awful lot like Pete's. They also aren't the only one's to use a balsa system, but the name "Alpha" isn't a Sav line or model/series, but it is a key to linking it to the manufacturer.
Sometimes its hard to keep the players straight as one company will borrow design concepts from another.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
See there where I have problems. Cause they all look a lot alike. Of course I've only been smoking a pipe for a couple of years now so I'm still a novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.