PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I find it funny that nobody seems to like the best selling tobacco. So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud
"I find it funny that nobody seems to like the best selling tobacco." ---Probably not a valid conclusion - if you read between the comments you might find that most pipe smokers keep some on hand even if just to mix with other brands.

"So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud" - That would be my guess ... case of trying to fit in to a mis-impression of what others expect. I'm reminded of the wine "Two Buck Chuck' a few years ago. It was decent wine from a respectable house in California but they grew too much of one grape. So a marketeer saw an opportunity to double his money. It was actually a good wine but nobody wanted to admit they drank it because it was sold at Walmart. It seems many people (the hobbyists) want to show off smoking exotic expensive rare tobaccos. Those who smoke regularly go with what taste they like. If it were not so the old codger blends would no longer be made.
I don't want to be blacklisted but every passion has some showoffs.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I think the people that smoke this regularly, are not the type to visit forums such as this. They just smoke their blend and go about their day. Of course there are people on these forums that do like it but it mainly attracts a different type of pipe smoker.
I disagree. They simply are happy enough to go about their business and not oggle over tobaccos they don’t really smoke. Rest assured there are plenty of us here.

telescopes

"I find it funny that nobody seems to like the best selling tobacco." ---Probably not a valid conclusion - if you read between the comments you might find that most pipe smokers keep some on hand even if just to mix with other brands.

"So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud" - That would be my guess ...

people who smoke 1Q simply don’t feel the need to say so. I am sure there are plenty of us who smoke it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

"So my question is whether folks are ashamed to admit they smoke the maligned aromatics out loud" - That would be my guess ... case of trying to fit in to a mis-impression of what others expect. I'm reminded of the wine "Two Buck Chuck' a few years ago. It was decent wine from a respectable house in California but they grew too much of one grape. So a marketeer saw an opportunity to double his money. It was actually a good wine but nobody wanted to admit they drank it because it was sold at Walmart. It seems many people (the hobbyists) want to show off smoking exotic expensive rare tobaccos. Those who smoke regularly go with what taste they like. If it were not so the old codger blends would no longer be made.
I don't find it funny at all. The majority of people I've met that smoke 1Q smoke 1Q not anything else. It's available at almost every tobacco shop that has bulk. If you have only tried bulk or otc pouch it's a stand out in that circle. It's mild pleasant easy smoking and complex enough to be interesting without being confusing. Which reminds me of Budweiser. If you haven't explored beer beyond the major national brands I can see why you might call it the King.
Also reminds me too that sales and quality aren't the same thing. A band sells a million albums and another sells a quarter of that. It doesn't mean the million album band is better but that it appeals to enough people to buy the album. The band that sold less might move the people who like it more and might speak more deeply and personally to them as well as might even be listened to more often. (the reverse can be true too, but that isn't the bar a band has to cross to sell a million albums). Or to put it another way the million seller might be in the middle of the collection and the smaller sales one might be in all those peoples top five.
And it all depends on what you want out of something and also how that thing hits you. What's thee ole saying? They don't teach actuaries about taste. It's something like that.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I too recently stumbled, unknowingly, into smoking 1Q again despite my intention not to partake it again. Frankly I had reviewed that blend and found it to be average in all performance measures while lacking any personal appeal to me, However, this latest experience moved my opinion forward as I actually thought it tendered better. Just goes to show you how possibly your palate may adjust or subtle changes in the blend can extend improvements to the total experience. 1Q is very popular blend no doubt and admittingly I now find some enjoyment in its milder profile.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I suspect that you are not alone in that. So many estate pipes that I've bought are ghosted with 1Q. It's the primary reason that I hate strongly dislike the crap stuff.
I see what your saying. Though, I can't imagine it couldn't be removed with reeming and one salt cleaning. It took me two or three cleanings and a lot of scrubbing to remove 30 yrs of Balkan Sobranie from a Pete. I still get a taste of it periodically if the bowl gets too hot.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I wrote "no ghosting". I can't imagine it couldn't be removed with one salt cleaning. It took me two or three cleanings and a lot of scrubbing to remove 30 yrs of Balkan Sobranie from a Pete. I still get a taste of it periodically if the bowl gets too hot.
My experience is diametrically opposed to yours.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
I`m sure in my youth I would have been able to taste 1Q,and loved it,but nowadays I get little flavor from it,just like many of the other blends

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Have to admit, by the time I was done with the two ounces of Lane 1Q I bought, I was done. I ended up tasting more of the added flavors than the tobacco. Made for some gnarly next-day aftertaste too. Not ideal. I got some of my go-to Captain Black Gold after and was happy again.

Reactions: geoffs

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I go back and forth between Aro's and straight Virginia's. I enjoy the occasional bowl of 1Q. My local pipe shop sells more of 1Q and RLP-6 than any other tobacco according to the owner. Personally, I like 7 Seas Regular the best out of those Captain Black type blends.

telescopes

I don't find it funny at all. The majority of people I've met that smoke 1Q smoke 1Q not anything else. It's available at almost every tobacco shop that has bulk. If you have only tried bulk or otc pouch it's a stand out in that circle. It's mild pleasant easy smoking and complex enough to be interesting without being confusing. Which reminds me of Budweiser. If you haven't explored beer beyond the major national brands I can see why you might call it the King.
Also reminds me too that sales and quality aren't the same thing. A band sells a million albums and another sells a quarter of that. It doesn't mean the million album band is better but that it appeals to enough people to buy the album. The band that sold less might move the people who like it more and might speak more deeply and personally to them as well as might even be listened to more often. (the reverse can be true too, but that isn't the bar a band has to cross to sell a million albums). Or to put it another way the million seller might be in the middle of the collection and the smaller sales one might be in all those peoples top five.
And it all depends on what you want out of something and also how that thing hits you. What's thee ole saying? They don't teach actuaries about taste. It's something like that.
I ‘ve drunk plenty of beers. Made my own for years. But after a hard long ride on my Indian, I’ll settle for a nice cold Coors Light every time. I think there is a group of men who believe thinking for themselves means doing whatever is suppose to be “elite” or “premium” whether it is tobacco, beer, or watches.

Reactions: huckleberry

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I ‘ve drunk plenty of beers. Made my own for years. But after a hard long ride on my Indian, I’ll settle for a nice cold Coors Light every time. I think there is a group of men who believe thinking for themselves means doing whatever is suppose to be “elite” or “premium” whether it is tobacco, beer, or watches.
People can certainly make too much out of taste. It's more fun to just enjoy what you enjoy and not enjoy what you don't. I feel like we're supposed to read more into these things then they actually say. Many times I've thought we must taste things so differently. For example with Captain Black or 1Q if you got the same after taste that I get you would not like the stuff. :)

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I'm almost 50 and it took me well into my 40s before I started being ok with just being myself. I smoke low-brow tobacco and like it; I drink cheap beer and like it; I listen to music most people have never heard of and that's ok by me, etc, etc. It's just a shame it takes so long to realize it's ok to be oneself.