PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read rule 9!

While I've tried a few various Burley blends and find most to be nice, they haven't really wowed me enough to replace a nice Lat blend for the most part. Until now. I'm thoroughly enjoying a bowl of Pegasus and trying different paces. About half way through the bowl, a 'what is this?' moment came up. With a barely smoldering, sipping draw, I'm getting nuts, a bit of molasses, sweetness and...a little chocolate. Holy crap! Where in the world did this come from??? Really good and amazing finish after each uber soft draw.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that softly sipping is the secret to this great blend. Are other burley blends similar? Just what I had been looking for - I can see that I'm going to be chasing this for some time to come! Bet this goes amazingly well with a good strong cup of dark roast coffee... 😍

Last edited by a moderator:

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
While I've tried a few various Burley blends and find most to be nice, they haven't really wowed me enough to replace a nice Lat blend for the most part. Until now. I'm thoroughly enjoying a bowl of Pegasus and trying different paces. About half way through the bowl, a 'what is this?' moment came up. With a barely smoldering, sipping draw, I'm getting nuts, a bit of molasses, sweetness and...a little chocolate. Holy crap! Where in the world did this come from??? Really good and amazing finish after each uber soft draw.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that softly sipping is the secret to this great blend. Are other burley blends similar? Just what I had been looking for - I can see that I'm going to be chasing this for some time to come! Bet this goes amazingly well with a good strong cup of dark roast coffee... 😍
Pegasus is one of my all time favorite tobaccos.
Ive always got a bunch stowed away.
Currently im smoking through a pound from 2017.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Pegasus is one of my absolute favorites too! When I keep it burning slow and cool I get walnuts, black coffee, cocoa, and a really mild molasses sweetness. A lot of burleys can be a little acrid to my tastebuds, but all of Cornell & Diehl's burley blends have a similar and (to me at least) wonderful flavor profile that I really enjoy. If you like Pegasus I'd recommend giving Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz a try as well, as they're like sister blends to Pegasus but with the Black Cavendish swapped out for Perique so you get a darker, earthier flavor profile with less sweetness and notes of peppercorn instead. I've heard Kelly's Coin is quite good too and have a tin on the way to try.puffy

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
It's easy to overlook Burley due to its versatility. Because of how it's often deployed liberally in shit blends, it's easy to dismiss it entirely as a core ingredient, and yet it's the common thread for Brown Sugar Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Brunello Flake, University Flake, and Wessex Burley Slice. None of these share a homogenous taste profile, yet each is brilliant in its own unique way.

I look at Burley as being as similar to cooking with garlic. If you don't know what you're doing, you can fuck up a perfectly good dish in two seconds flat by either adding too much or not enough. But expert use of garlic suffices to create many a splendid entree.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Please read rule 9!

I find that sipping softly is the key to enjoying pipes totally. Fun fact what I like about burly is that to me it's flavorwise more forgiving about how soft the sip goes. But yeah it's great stuff.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
C&D does not case any of their burleys so right on for you to be able to pick up on those flavours.

I have recently been figuring out how slow sipping actually is after hearing about it on here for a long time. An 18mm wide bowl that is about 36 mm deep of Haunted Bookshop has been lasting me about an hour and forty five minutes these last almost two weeks. I still have some dottle on the bottom after that when I usually give up or have run out of time.

I enjoy burley so much that I have been considering only buying C&D blends from now on.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Welcome to the winning team. Burley-forward blends are some of my absolute favorites. Yes, sipping slowly is the key to get the nuance out of good burley. But sipping slowly is the key to enjoying most pipe tobacco.

If you enjoyed Pegasus, know it was blended by Bob Runowski, who had a penchant for bold, earthy, and slightly sweet and piquant burley-forward blends. Many of his blends are still in rotation, and nearly all of them are worth a try. Haunted Bookshop is an old favorite of mine, but I can't think of a blend of his I tried that wasn't at least decent.

And though Briar Fox is not a Runowski blend, it is one I will also recommend. It has a similar taste profile to Pegasus, and ages fairly well.