PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Greetings Pipe Smokers! The Summer days are gradually shortening and we are now halfway to the start of Autumn. I love the Fall; in my case it marks an end to the rather hot desert weather and the start of nine-months of wonderful.

My pipe journey reached a transition a month or so ago that I have been processing. I am a pipe-smoker. I am not just trying pipes out, or indulging in a whimsy. Smoking a pipe is a part of who I am. In this current anti-tobacco/anti-smoking climate I have to confess that I approached smoking a pipe with some trepidation. I was secretive about it at first and reticent to even admit that I was smoking a pipe to friends and family. I am happy to say that most of that has fallen away now. I am no longer shy about the fact that I smoke a pipe. I don’t go out of my way to shout it from the rooftops or anything, but it is a fundamental part of who I am.

There are so many aspects of pipe smoking that appeal to me. It has provided me with the richest and most-varied tobacco experience of my life, and at forty blends that I have personally sampled so far I have still only scratched the surface! It is astounding to me how many active wonderful blenders are out there still pushing the flavor boundaries of the humble tobacco plant. Especially with the niche of a niche that our small but mighty cohort entails.

I do oscillate between the joy of perusing my forty jars for the moment’s smoke and reveling in the simplicity of just stuffing some Boswell’s Best into my Sav from the solitary jar on my desk. It is fantastic to have choice and it is also fantastic to just enjoy a simple pipe.

I didn’t set out to collect pipes (said everyone everwhere) and I was very opinionated about what I liked and didn’t like. After my first pipe (Savinelli 606 blue alligator bent billiard — great starting pipe!), I mostly bought bulldogs/rhodesians. When I reached about ten pipes, I found myself becoming simultaneously more open and more discerning. I have formed a love of the hunt! I really enjoy adding pipes to my collection but am more and more thoughtful about how I do it as each new pipe is found. It isn’t a race to 1,000 pipes (though I now have no doubt that milestone will happen). I have $15 clays and cobs all the way up to $450 artisan pipes and I love them all. I just enjoyed a lovely smoke in my Falcon today with some Solani Aged Burley Flake. And as I write this I have two LCS Briars incoming. They are all wonderful.

The pipe-smoking community — from the great members in these forums, to some YTPC’ers I’ve met, to the proprietors of the couple B&M’s I’ve been able to visit, to pipe-makers I’ve spoken with have all been welcoming, helpful, and pleasant. I have struck up conversations with strangers at pipe shops and really enjoy the camaraderie. For what is largely a solitary activity in my case, it has also been quite a positively social one.

Thanks for continuing to share this journey with me!

My name is Richard, and I am a pipe-smoker.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Well Richard, I'm happy the pipe has made you it's victim....or....um....I mean friend.
It seems you are moving along normally. The PAD and TAD will not let up.....ask me how I know.
I stopped piping for a few years, but it called me back.
As you are awaiting the comfortability of the coming months, we here in the far North are stacking the wood, checking the furnace and making sure our parkas and pack boots are ready for the onslaught of winter......and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Well Richard, I'm happy the pipe has made you it's victim....or....um....I mean friend.
It seems you are moving along normally. The PAD and TAD will not let up.....ask me how I know.
I stopped piping for a few years, but it called me back.
As you are awaiting the comfortability of the coming months, we here in the far North are stacking the wood, checking the furnace and making sure our parkas and pack boots are ready for the onslaught of winter......and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks @Sig. I like the idea of a wintery smoke! Might just have to go find some snow this year.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Well said Richard,
Im far from an expert but might qualify as a Seasoned Veteran in some circles. My Journey started very similar to yours in 1985 and grew over time the same as yours has. I’d slack off only to return several times over the years but I always had several pipes and a few blends lying around although they weren’t always getting the use they could’ve.
When I started it was Freehands like Ben Wades, Preben Holm, Nording and Bent if not Full Bent pipes as well. The only thing valuable that I really took from any of this is your Pipe Styles and Tobacco Choices choose you. You can like the looks or styles or even certain genres of pipes and tobacco’s but they may not be as loving in return as you are to them and they can change at anytime.
I despised Billiards for years and flat out hated Burley’s however almost 40 years later both seem to be a constant companion now.
I guess what I’m trying to say is overtime what you thought you wanted in or out of a pipe or tobacco you probably will or already have come to the conclusion that regardless of your choices the pipe styles and tobacco’s choose you
and that’s what’s left in the end. You’ve become a piper!
I’m glad your enjoying the journey
And you’ve found yourself settled in and somewhat content.
See you soon at PAD and TAD Anonymous Meetings 😂

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Well said Richard,
Im far from an expert but might qualify as a Seasoned Veteran in some circles. My Journey started very similar to yours in 1985 and grew over time the same as yours has. I’d slack off only to return several times over the years but I always had several pipes and a few blends lying around although they weren’t always getting the use they could’ve.
When I started it was Freehands like Ben Wades, Preben Holm, Nording and Bent if not Full Bent pipes as well. The only thing valuable that I really took from any of this is your Pipe Styles and Tobacco Choices choose you. You can like the looks or styles or even certain genres of pipes and tobacco’s but they may not be as loving in return as you are to them and they can change at anytime.
I despised Billiards for years and flat out hated Burley’s however almost 40 years later both seem to be a constant companion now.
I guess what I’m trying to say is overtime what you thought you wanted in or out of a pipe or tobacco you probably will or already have come to the conclusion that regardless of your choices the pipe styles and tobacco’s choose you
and that’s what’s left in the end. You’ve become a piper!
I’m glad your enjoying the journey
And you’ve found yourself settled in and somewhat content.
See you soon at PAD and TAD Anonymous Meetings 😂
Thanks for the reply, @PaulRVA. I appreciate hearing about your own experiences! My tastes are definitely evolving over time and one thing I've learned early is to not throw things out -- they might be the thing I really like later. :)

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Thanks for the reply, @PaulRVA. I appreciate hearing about your own experiences! My tastes are definitely evolving over time and one thing I've learned early is to not throw things out -- they might be the thing I really like later. :)
Absolutely, I always put it to the side and come back to it later.
I’ve missed a lot of great blends over the years by not revisiting
them later when my taste evolved, changed or I became acclimated to it. I’ve learned a lot here from a lot of the members and also the fact that Tobacco is so much more accessible now with it being available online. That has really given me exposure to blends and pipe makers I probably would’ve never discovered. I don’t discount any advice or another's experience and the forums really give us all valuable insight we probably would’ve never gotten over the years just by walking into a B&M and stumbling across something.
That insight has probably saved me a small fortune as well because the experience of others being available saves the trial and error and cost associated with it.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Thank you for this. I’ve had many similar thoughts, and wrote a lot of words this evening while enjoying a cigar; rather than appear to try to steal your thunder, I’ll simply say that I’m a pipe and cigar smoker too, and have thoroughly enjoyed this experience.
No thunder to be stolen! We are all on the journey. I am glad you are enjoying the experience!

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Hi Richard, nice to meet you, my name is Enrico.
I always enjoy reading your posts, so funny and full of enthusiasm. I just hope that - after a rocket start - you can continue to cultivate this passion, even in the future, with the right balance. I say this because flashes in the pan are frequent.
In short, you started for the marathon and ran the first 100 meters in ten seconds, but you have to get to the end.

Do you understand what I mean? 😉

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Well said Richard. Pipes are part of my life and a welcome one. I find in a world full of idiocy they are a snapshot of a forgotten time, stayed, solid. I also enjoy the community as here in Oz we are a much maligned minority but online I can connect and enjoy a simple pleasure with like minded souls which wouldn’t be available to me otherwise. Enjoy your journey.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Hi Richard, nice to meet you, my name is Enrico.
I always enjoy reading your posts, so funny and full of enthusiasm. I just hope that - after a rocket start - you can continue to cultivate this passion, even in the future, with the right balance. I say this because flashes in the pan are frequent.
In short, you started for the marathon and ran the first 100 meters in ten seconds, but you have to get to the end.

Do you understand what I mean? 😉
Thanks Enrico. I do know what you mean. The most honest answer I can give is that only time will truly tell. I have recently slowed down in the acquisition of new blends (still having 30ish in my cellar I haven't yet sampled) and as described my pipe-purchasing has become a lot more discriminating. All I can do is share my experience as it happens. Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Reactions: Uguccione

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Well said Richard. Pipes are part of my life and a welcome one. I find in a world full of idiocy they are a snapshot of a forgotten time, stayed, solid. I also enjoy the community as here in Oz we are a much maligned minority but online I can connect and enjoy a simple pleasure with like minded souls which wouldn’t be available to me otherwise. Enjoy your journey.
Thanks VDL_Piper. That is one of the key reasons I was attracted to try pipe smoking in the first place -- the contrast of old world ritual, doing something with intention, stopping to contemplate, disconnecting from the hecticness of daily screen-filled life. I love all the mechanics and gadgetry of pipe smoking, but this is probably what will keep me going long-term.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Hello, I really enjoyed reading your well written story. My pipe journey sounds very similar to your's, except for pipe collecting.....I have 14, and that's probably about 7 too many!

Happy smokes Richard, from Adam.
Thanks! Appreciate you adding to the conversation, Adam. Admittedly, the more pipes I acquire the harder it is to decide which one to smoke! :)