PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
This is described as an aromatic and is, but definitely not in the american sense or being overly sweet and goopy. Composed of a broken virginia flake (described as a honey dew virginia), cavendish, some burley and a bit of perique. Flavored with honey, lemon, cloves and cherry.

I had it jarred for 6 months and it was on the moist side. Ive been letting it dry for 3 or 4 hours which left it crispy and packing it in a large boswells straight billiard using the frank method.
Taste: I definitely pick up floral notes, some lemon, the clove and a moderate amount of spice especially on the roof of my mouth and on the retrohale. Nice smooth tobacco taste but not picking up much sweetness at all. Seems to me the topping is quite subtle but I may have lost something by drying it too much. Burns exceptionally well with copious amounts of smoke even with gentle sipping although that may partly be a function of how much i let dry. Burned to the bottom of the bowl and left a nice ash with little dottle or moisture - again im sure partly bc of the prep.
Quite a relaxing smoke, smooth and with little harshness. Short finish and from what i can tell a nice room note.
I think i may be unusually sensitive to perique and tend to more easily pick up on spicy note which can mute other notes for me. Definitely going to keep going with this but leaving it much moister to see if i get more flavor. Overall i highly recommend it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is described as an aromatic and is, but definitely not in the american sense or being overly sweet and goopy. Composed of a broken virginia flake (described as a honey dew virginia), cavendish, some burley and a bit of perique. Flavored with honey, lemon, cloves and cherry.

I had it jarred for 6 months and it was on the moist side. Ive been letting it dry for 3 or 4 hours which left it crispy and packing it in a large boswells straight billiard using the frank method.
Taste: I definitely pick up floral notes, some lemon, the clove and a moderate amount of spice especially on the roof of my mouth and on the retrohale. Nice smooth tobacco taste but not picking up much sweetness at all. Seems to me the topping is quite subtle but I may have lost something by drying it too much. Burns exceptionally well with copious amounts of smoke even with gentle sipping although that may partly be a function of how much i let dry. Burned to the bottom of the bowl and left a nice ash with little dottle or moisture - again im sure partly bc of the prep.
Quite a relaxing smoke, smooth and with little harshness. Short finish and from what i can tell a nice room note.
I think i may be unusually sensitive to perique and tend to more easily pick up on spicy note which can mute other notes for me. Definitely going to keep going with this but leaving it much moister to see if i get more flavor. Overall i highly recommend it.

I thought it was an okay smoke but not something I ended up buying any more of. I can also see how some people would really like it. The HU blends are of good quality, just a matter of picking the ones that hit your sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.