PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Got a few tins of this from estervals and have smoked 4 or 5 bowls. The reviews on tobaaco reviews are spot on, but in brief i will just add - wow. This is one of the tastiest and most interesting tobaccos i’ve smoked.
The underlying base is a deep chocolate essence which i gather is from the malawi burley. Reminds me of bob’s chocolate flake in that regard but nyala has no latakia and no smokiness. And there is a lot more going on. Get a distinct note from the red virginias in the tin note, less when smoking it but an occasional fruitiness comes through, from the va the perique or both. Definite noticeable spice, mayb from the brazil tobacco and also the perique (?) but not overwhelming at all, and fades in and out, with the smooth chocolate and perhaps coffee notes dominating at various points in the bowl and the spice picking up sporadically. And then a most definite whiff of the cigar leaf - i picked it up more in the smell of the smoke and on occasional retrohale.

Burns cool with nice creamy smoke.
One of the most enjoyable tobaccos Ive had yet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Got a few tins of this from estervals and have smoked 4 or 5 bowls. The reviews on tobaaco reviews are spot on, but in brief i will just add - wow. This is one of the tastiest and most interesting tobaccos i’ve smoked.
The underlying base is a deep chocolate essence which i gather is from the malawi burley. Reminds me of bob’s chocolate flake in that regard but nyala has no latakia and no smokiness. And there is a lot more going on. Get a distinct note from the red virginias in the tin note, less when smoking it but an occasional fruitiness comes through, from the va the perique or both. Definite noticeable spice, mayb from the brazil tobacco and also the perique (?) but not overwhelming at all, and fades in and out, with the smooth chocolate and perhaps coffee notes dominating at various points in the bowl and the spice picking up sporadically. And then a most definite whiff of the cigar leaf - i picked it up more in the smell of the smoke and on occasional retrohale.

Burns cool with nice creamy smoke.
One of the most enjoyable tobaccos Ive had yet.

Best blend with cigar leaf content I've smoked. Unlike many, the cigar leaf is a readily apparent condiment but does not overwhelm the blend in the least.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Best blend with cigar leaf content I've smoked. Unlike many, the cigar leaf is a readily apparent condiment but does not overwhelm the blend in the least.
Totally agree (although I've only smoked one other cigar blend -- C&D Habana Daydream, which i also like a lot but not as much as nyala - so I don't have much basis to compare). What popped into my head is -- wow, i really pick up the cigar at times, but it seems like a really, really good cigar -- actually adds a very pleasant note to the aroma.

I smoked this in a Sav Bings Favorite. I'm thinking that perhaps this is a blend that would be even better in a wider bowl, to pick up a melding of the complex flavors. In the small and fairly narrow bowl of the Bing's favorite I definitely picked up flavor shifts -- not something i normally can easily detect - which was enjoyable in its own right. Curious to see if that will make a difference.

Also, the moisture was absolutely perfect out of the tin. Just very slightly moist, smoked clean down to white ash with no excess moisture at the end.

Reactions: ofafeather

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Totally agree (although I've only smoked one other cigar blend -- C&D Habana Daydream, which i also like a lot but not as much as nyala - so I don't have much basis to compare).
Get your hands on some GLP Key Largo. One of the best cigar leaf blends I've smoked. Has an understated Latakia presence similar to Bob's Chocolate Flake, and is super creamy. Excellent blend. Just grabbed a tin of Nyala myself but haven't tried it yet. Will have to get going on that soon!

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Get your hands on some GLP Key Largo. One of the best cigar leaf blends I've smoked. Has an understated Latakia presence similar to Bob's Chocolate Flake, and is super creamy. Excellent blend. Just grabbed a tin of Nyala myself but haven't tried it yet. Will have to get going on that soon!
I have a tin or key largo sitting and waiting patiently for me to finish my open jar or habana daydream. Trying to get through some of the 30+ Jarred open tins before opening more. But looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.