PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I've done it that way and I've done it with a old plug cutter and yes it works great. But what works best for me is just lop off a corner and put it in a good old weed grinder. Works perfect every single time. In fact I'm already seeing grinders advertised for just that purpose.

G

Gimlet

I;ve been wanting to try either Revor Plug or Jackknife has anybody smoked both & which should I try 1st
Haven't smoked Jackknife but I smoke Revor and it's fabulous stuff. A very rich and smokey, leathery taste but with a slightly sweet edge, an almost fermented sweetness. It smokes very smooth and cool and has a glorious scent from the bowl smoke. A wonderful sipper smoked clenched in a short pipe so you get the nose scent as well as the taste.
It is a denser block than that in the video but cuts easily with a sharp knife. I tend to just hold the block in my hand and pare off a single thick slice against my thumb like I was cutting an apple.
I've tried cutting thin flakes but found those crumble very fine like cake. I prefer to cut a single chunk for larger strands when rubbed out as I get a better draw. I smoke mine in a small Petersons Arklow and a slice 3/8" to 1/4" thick will fill the bowl.
I don't find it needs any drying out. It's not particularly tacky feeling straight from the pouch and lights well with a little gentle tamping to start with until a good coal gets going. Then it stays lit and can be sipped to the end. I've found it easier to light and keep going when I cut it thicker and rub out like course shag rather than slice very thin.

This stuff is superbly pungent. It's quite strong and the peppery prickling of nicotine is evident towards the end of the bowl but it's not a as prickly as a black or brown Irish twist. Revor is all about flavour and rich old fashioned aroma.
Highly recommended. It's a similar taste to Petersons Irish Flake but the fermented sweetness is more dominant with the Petersons and the Revor more leathery smokiness.

I don't think it matters whether you try the Revor or the Jackknife first. Buy a couple of ounces of each and try them in separate but similar pipes that are clean and dry so you can assess which you prefer. If you're like me you'll probably like them both (I don't really have a single favourite tobacco. It's like favourite music: it all depends on my mood at the time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bbailey324